Getting your car ready
Before taking your first trip, here are a few things drivers have told us they recommend. In some cities, these steps are required by law.
Looking for delivery info?
Getting ready for your first trip
Many highly rated drivers say that they keep these tools ready in their car before they drive. Local laws and restrictions may apply.
1. A phone mount for navigating hands-free.
2. A Bluetooth headset for taking calls (where permitted by law).
3. A phone charger so you never run out of battery while driving.
4. An Uber decal (also called a sticker or trade dress), required in some cities.
Preparing to drive in your city
When you sign up to drive, the local Uber team will send you an email with information about local regulations. This may include whether your car needs an inspection and how to display your Uber decal.
We asked drivers for more tips about getting ready to drive.
Keeping it clean
Many drivers said a clean car is key to getting good ratings and compliments.
Having a plan for music
Highly rated drivers have told us they consider what style and volume of music (either their own or a radio station’s) might be pleasant and not too distracting for riders. When in doubt, they ask if riders have a station request or if they’d like to play music from their own phone.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I sign up to drive with Uber?
- How do I know if my car will pass inspection?
- What if I want to drive with Uber but don’t own a car?
- What is an Uber trade dress, and how do I get one?
The information provided on this web page is intended for informational purposes only and may not be applicable in your country, region, or city. It is subject to change and may be updated without notice.