Please enable Javascript
Skip to main content

Kansas government relief guide

To help drivers and delivery people during the COVID-19 crisis, we're gathering up-to-date information about government financial support that you may be eligible for. In this guide, we'll answer important questions and share resources to help you apply.¹

Before you get started, please remember that the official sources of information are state and federal government agencies. We know this process can be complicated and confusing, especially because no one has all the answers yet—including us. We’ll continue to revise this guide as we receive additional information. Check back here over the coming weeks for updates.

Not in Kansas? Go here to find information for other locations.


Last updated: June 15, 2020

What types of government financial support are available?

There are a few types of government financial support available, many of them new for independent contractors like you.

The US government has passed legislation that may mean you’re eligible for government financial assistance. You’ve probably heard this referred to as the CARES Act. Under this new legislation, you may be able to access financial relief for lost earnings due to the COVID-19 pandemic through:

  • Direct financial aid available to individuals who have lost income
  • Loans or emergency cash advances that may be forgivable
  • Paid leave tax credits

In some cases, it may take several weeks before state agencies process your applications and claims since these programs and benefits are still developing.

What is direct financial aid?

The federal government has made it possible for independent contractors who have lost income due to COVID-19 to access the same kinds of benefits that states traditionally provide to workers who receive W-2s and file for unemployment insurance. You may have heard this federally funded direct financial assistance referred to as Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA).

How much could I receive?

The total amount of financial aid you could receive will depend on your individual circumstances, including your state's calculation and your current and historic earnings.

Is this related to the $600 per week payments?

Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) provided $600 per week for every week an individual qualified for either federal or state unemployment relief for the weeks ending April 4, 2020 through July 25, 2020. This federal benefit ended and will remain expired unless Congress reinstates the program.

For how long am I eligible to receive direct financial aid?

Under PUA, you may be able to get up to 39 weeks of PUA payments, until December 31, 2020, from the federal government.

Are payments retroactive?

PUA can go back as far as February 2, 2020, if you qualify and can document a loss of income due to COVID-19 earlier than your filing date.

How can I tell if I’m eligible?

You may be eligible for PUA if you’ve lost income due to COVID-19. If you have another source of income where you receive a W-2 form for your taxes, you should check with your state about how to properly file because you may be eligible for regular unemployment insurance. Check the FAQ section below for more details about the COVID-19-related circumstances that might make you eligible for this assistance.

You can learn more through the federal Department of Labor website.

How can I apply for direct financial aid in Kansas?

The Kansas state government has not yet announced their process to let independent contractors file a PUA claim. We’ve reached out to the state to request that they expedite this process so you can apply as soon as possible. You can check your state website for more details and continue to check back here over the coming weeks for updated information. In the meantime, it may be helpful to prepare in the following ways:

Have your Social Security number or Taxpayer Identification Number ready

Download your tax summaries

  • Go to your driver dashboard
  • Click on the Tax Information tab
  • Download your monthly and (if applicable) yearly summaries

If applicable, download your 1099 form(s) from the 2019 tax year

  • Go to your driver dashboard
  • Click on the Tax Information tab
  • Download your 1099-K and 1099-MISC (due to reporting thresholds, you may not have received one or both of these)

Collect documentation on any other sources of income

To avoid unnecessary delays, it's always a good idea before submitting any application to make sure that you are up to date with any legal requirements, including timely filed and paid taxes wherever applicable.

What types of loans and emergency cash advances are available?

The US Small Business Administration (SBA) has 2 programs that are new for independent contractors under the CARES Act. We’ll describe them below, but you can always learn more about these relief options through the SBA website.

Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)

This program allows participating banks and lenders to offer forgivable loans to small businesses and independent contractors.


  • How much could I receive? You could be eligible for a PPP loan up to 2.5 times your average monthly net self-employment income over the last 12 months.
  • Would I have debt to pay back? The PPP loan and interest are 100% forgivable if you separately apply to be excused from repaying the loan and can document that you used it for authorized purposes. You can apply for loan forgiveness at the end of your loan period (the twenty-four weeks following initial disbursement) by completing this application provided by the SBA and submitting to your lender.
  • How can I apply?

    • PayPal* is currently processing applications for SBA Paycheck Protection Program loans for independent contractors. Learn more and begin your application here. To apply through PayPal, you will need:
      • Prepared 1040 Schedule C from 2019 (even if you haven’t yet filed with the IRS)
      • 1099-MISC from 2019, If you did not receive a 1099-MISC due to reporting thresholds, you will not be able to complete an application through PayPal at this time
      • Copy of a bank statement from 2020
      • Other documentation may be requested
    • Kabbage is another lender currently processing SBA Paycheck Protection Program loans for independent contractors. Learn more and begin your application here. To apply through Kabbage, you will need:

      • Prepared 1040 Schedule C from 2019 (even if you haven’t yet filed with the IRS)

        • Kabbage’s minimum earnings threshold for a PPP loan is $2,400
        • You can find this on line 31 of your 1040 Schedule C

        • If you don’t meet the minimum earnings threshold, your application may be denied

      • 2019 Yearly Tax Summary from the Tax Information tab of your driver dashboard
        • We’ve created a new version of this document to assist in the application process
        • The correct version will have a code in the upper left corner that should look similar to: “Code: xyz1234”
    • There are many lenders processing PPP loan applications. Here are some resources for finding a lender:

      • Ask your bank or credit union whether they’re processing PPP loan applications for independent contractors. This program is optional for lenders, so not all financial institutions are processing these applications.
      • Find an approved lender using this SBA tool. Once you find an approved lender, ask what documentation you’ll need to apply. Some lenders may not require a 1099-MISC.

Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) Emergency Advance

This program allows small businesses and independent contractors to apply for an emergency advance as part of an application for a non-forgivable EIDL loan.


  • How much could I receive? The emergency advance can be up to $10,000, but the expected distribution per applicant is likely much lower.
  • Would I have debt to pay back? The EIDL loan will need to be repaid, plus interest. The emergency advance is a grant that will not need to be repaid, regardless of whether you ultimately receive an EIDL loan.
  • How can I apply? You can apply for a loan through the EIDL program on the SBA website. The US Chamber of Commerce also has a helpful step-by-step guide.

We think it’s important for you to know that there are a few types of government assistance available, some of which may prevent you from receiving others. For example, if you receive a PPP loan, you may not be eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) for the duration of your loan. This can be a complicated and tough decision, so we encourage you to take time to consider what is best for you.

What are paid leave tax credits?

Signed on March 18, 2020, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act provides tax credits to small businesses and independent contractors for leave due to circumstances related to COVID-19. This means that you may be able to claim paid leave tax credits that could lower your tax liability or even make you eligible for a refund.

What circumstances qualify?

If you’re unable to work due to self-quarantine or because you or a family member are sick, or because you must provide child care due to closures caused by COVID-19, you could be eligible. Leave taken between April 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020, could qualify.

How much would the tax credits be worth?

The amount of tax credits will vary based on location and circumstance. More information is available from the IRS under the “Overview of Paid Sick Leave Refundable Credit,” “Overview of Paid Family Leave Refundable Credit,” and “Specific Provisions Related to Self-Employed Individuals” (FAQ 60-66) sections.

How can I receive the tax credits?

If you have additional questions about this program or your tax circumstances, you should speak to a licensed tax adviser.

Where can I find more information?

No one has all the answers right now, but here are some helpful resources from Uber, our partners, and government agencies.

Frequently asked questions

  • According to Department of Labor guidance, you may be eligible for PUA if you are authorized to work in the US, not otherwise eligible for traditional unemployment benefits, and certify that you are available to work but not able to work because of circumstances related to COVID-19 that include, but aren’t limited to:

    • You are diagnosed with COVID-19 or recommended to quarantine by a health professional
    • A household member has been diagnosed with COVID-19
    • You must care for a family or household member diagnosed with COVID-19
    • You are the primary caregiver for a child or other household member whose normal activities are disrupted by the COVID-19 public health emergency
    • You are unable to reach your place of employment because of imposed quarantine or recommended self-quarantine due, for example, to a compromised immune system
    • Your business has been forced to suspend operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic because an emergency state or municipal order restricting movement makes continued operations unsustainable

    In addition, as an independent contractor with reportable income, you may also qualify for PUA if you are unemployed, partially employed, or unable or unavailable to work because the COVID-19 public health emergency has severely limited your ability to continue performing your customary work activities, forcing you to suspend those activities.

  • No. PUA benefits are available to individuals who are partially unemployed, including independent contractors whose income is significantly reduced due to COVID-19. Learn more here.

  • Yes, but note that your state may require you to report earnings on a weekly basis, and PUA benefits only apply if you can demonstrate that your income is reduced.

  • We know this is complicated, and we recommend contacting an immigration professional such as an attorney who can review your eligibility and specific immigration situation. The Department of Justice has a list of pro bono legal service providers that may be helpful.

  • As of April 17, 2020, federal guidance hasn’t been issued on this question, which means that different states may handle this scenario differently. You can visit your state Department of Labor website for guidance on whether you can make claims for lost income from work as an independent contractor that is additional to your W-2 income.

  • If you qualify for or are already receiving traditional unemployment insurance, you may not be eligible for PUA. You should visit your state website for additional guidance.

  • You can still apply for PUA, but if you received financial aid that replaced lost income, you may need to report it on your application.

  • Yes. Unemployment assistance is taxable.

  • No. Any decisions you make to apply for government financial support will have no impact on the status of your account.

  • You are considered an independent contractor, not an employee, based on your agreement with Uber. You should not have to provide contact information for companies that you do not have an employment relationship with -- depending on how your state collects information on this question, you could do one of the following:

    • Select “no” if there is a drop-down menu
    • If you operate under an LLC or other structure, you could list that information
    • If you operate as a sole proprietor, you could list your personal information
  • If you’re interested in a PPP loan, you should contact a qualified and participating lender. You can find an eligible lender using this helpful SBA tool.

  • Yes, if you receive an EIDL Emergency Advance, you are still able to apply for a PPP loan. Based on SBA guidance, if you received an EIDL loan between January 31, 2020, and April 3, 2020, the amount will be deducted from the total amount that you could borrow through a PPP loan. However, because an EIDL Emergency Advance does not have to be paid back, it doesn't impact your total borrowable PPP amount.

  • We’re working on finding a clear answer to this question, but as of April 17, 2020, federal guidance has not addressed whether individuals who received a PPP loan could later receive PUA.

  • Yes. However, make sure to consult with your lender to ensure you understand all the steps you will need to take to qualify for loan forgiveness of a Paycheck Protection Program loan.

  • Even if your income as an independent contractor was more than your W-2 income, federal guidance states that PUA is only available to individuals who are not eligible for traditional unemployment benefits. This means that you will not be eligible for PUA if you are receiving or are eligible to receive traditional unemployment. But if your W-2 income does not meet the minimum monetary requirements for traditional unemployment, you have exhausted traditional unemployment, or are otherwise ineligible for traditional unemployment, you may be eligible for PUA.

¹The material provided on this page does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal, financial, tax, or other advice. It is for informational purposes only. Please consult your attorney or financial adviser to obtain advice with respect to your particular situation. For your convenience, this page contains links to third-party websites. Uber is not responsible for the content in those third-party sites or the products or services offered through them. While we will make every effort to keep this site up to date, for the most current information please see the respective governmental or organizational sites.