With the passage of 2018 New York fiscal budget, ridesharing officially comes to New York State. Pursuant to New York’s ridesharing laws, Uber Transportation Network Company Driver Partners (TNC Drivers) are covered by Uber’s group ridesharing insurance while connected to the Digital Network. A summary of this coverage is below:
While on a prearranged trip (on your way to pick up a rider and while a rider is in your car):
- $1.25 million of liability coverage per accident. Uber holds a group ridesharing insurance policy with $1.25 million of coverage per accident. A TNC Driver’s liability to third parties is covered from the moment a TNC Driver accepts a Prearranged Trip to its conclusion. This policy is expressly primary to any personal auto coverage.
- $1.25 million of supplementary uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage per accident. In the event that another motorist causes an accident with a Transportation Network Company Vehicle (TNC Vehicle) and the motorist doesn’t carry adequate insurance or is uninsured, this coverage protects against bodily injury to all occupants of the TNC Vehicle. This is important to ensure protection in a hit and run.
- No fault coverage (e.g., Personal Injury Protection). This state required coverage protects all occupants of the TNC Vehicle for medical and health expenses, lost earnings, and other reasonable and necessary expenses resulting from vehicle related injuries up to $50,000.
- Contingent comprehensive and collision insurance. If a TNC Driver holds personal comprehensive and collision insurance, this policy covers physical damage occurring to that TNC Vehicle during a trip, up to the actual cash value or cost of repair, whichever is less, of the TNC Vehicle, with a $1,000 deductible. NOTE: This coverage only applies on a Prearranged Trip – you may want to consider purchasing your own comprehensive and/or collision insurance coverage for the times you are waiting for a trip request. For more information, please see here.
App on, waiting for a trip request:
- $75,000/$150,000/$25,000 of coverage between trips. During the time that a TNC Driver is available to receive ride requests or is between trips, we maintain a group ridesharing policy that covers the TNC Driver’s liability for bodily injury up to $75,000 per injury per accident with a total of $150,000 per accident and up to $25,000 for property damage.
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per accident. In the event that another motorist causes an accident with a TNC Vehicle and the motorist is uninsured, this coverage protects against bodily injury to all occupants of the TNC Vehicle. This coverage provides up to $25,000 in injury liability per person ($50,000 per accident) and $50,000 per person for death ($100,000 per accident). This is important to ensure protection in a hit and run.
- No fault coverage (e.g., Personal Injury Protection). This state required coverage protects you for medical and health expenses, lost earnings, and other reasonable and necessary expenses resulting from vehicle related injuries up to $50,000.
- You are subject to state financial responsibility laws while offline. Uber does not maintain any auto insurance coverage during this period of time. You can learn more about these requirements from the New York Department of Financial Services here.
Coverage for Commercial Drivers
Uber rides in New York City are regulated by the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission, which requires commercial insurance policies for each individual vehicle. Accidents that happen on rides originating in New York City are covered by those commercial policies that are maintained by the driver. Outside New York City, Uber may partner with drivers who are licensed and insured commercially by other jurisdictions. Those rides may be booked under the names UberBLACK, UberSUV, UberTAXI, and UberT, among others, and accidents happening on those rides are covered by the commercial insurance maintained by the driver.
NOTE: This summary does not amend or alter any terms or conditions of Uber’s group ridesharing insurance. Please see group insurance policies (linked above) for full details.
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE: THE INSURER NAMED HEREIN IS NOT LICENSED BY THE STATE OF NEW YORK, NOT SUBJECT TO ITS SUPERVISION, AND IN THE EVENT OF THE INSOLVENCY OF THE INSURER, NOT PROTECTED BY THE NEW YORK STATE SECURITY FUNDS. THE POLICY MAY NOT BE SUBJECT TO ALL OF THE REGULATIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL SERVICES PERTAINING TO POLICY FORMS.
INSURER: James River Insurance Company is an eligible excess lines carrier in New York. You can find more information about James River’s eligibility here.