Manager, Product Design - Advanced Technologies Group
Here at Uber's Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are on a mission to bring safe, reliable self-driving transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto, and Boulder are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. We are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Our Product & Design team builds on a platform of deep insight for our users both internally and externally, turning complex technology into elegant product solutions.
About the Role
As a Design Manager, you will work closely with Product Designers, UX Researchers, and Product Managers to develop deep empathy for our users that encourage user experiences for ATG. You will be involved in every aspect of the product development process, across both internal and external products. This an exciting opportunity to collaborate with design leads and cross-functional partners to craft the vision and strategies behind some of the biggest initiatives in the company! Working with the design team across both San Francisco and Pittsburgh to deliver smart products and grow as a creative professional. This role provides an outstanding opportunity to change elevations, from high-level strategic thinker to interaction and visual designer. Uber's work in advanced technologies has many exciting challenges ahead, and we're excited to welcome you as a team member to build the future of transportation. This is a full-time position open to our San Francisco, CA.
What You'll Do
- Drive the vision and experience with cross-functional partners to deliver the product experience for some of our most critical simulation and autonomy development products.
- Drive best practices in overall experiences and product design.
- Assist product teams ship at that quality with minimal impact on velocity.
- Work with designers to provide opportunities to develop and foster their strengths.
- Build the systems for you (and others) to efficiently evaluate and hire designers and researchers who can take Uber to new levels of proficiency.
- Increase the efficiency and improve the entire design and product teams, not just your direct reports.
- Lead teams through vision, planning, and talent management.
- 5+ years in the product design experience
- 2+ years leading design teams in the development of software products.
- Experience designing UX/IA experience for large/complex web applications with multiple KPIs
- Background and knowledge working with a wide range of UI Design, Visual Design, UX Research in a highly technical environment or complex product suite, shown through a comprehensive portfolio with products that demonstrate quality of UX and Visual craft.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills that help you to quickly adapt to a new complex, cross-functional environment.
- Excitement for establishing team culture, hiring, and promoting design education within the greater organization.
- Experience working with leadership to identify key business opportunities and IP.
- Ability to build and share a vision with cross-functional partners and the public.
- Ability to travel 25% of the time.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.