About the Role
As a member of the Uber ATG Supply Chain and Manufacturing Operations team, the Manufacturing Test Engineer is responsible for the supplier and product manufacturing test definition, processes and infrastructure of the electro-mechanical modules and assemblies integrated into the Uber ATG Self-driving vehicle (SDV) and OEM platforms.
The Manufacturing Test Engineer role is self-directed, collaborative, analytical and hands-on, and requires effective engagements across Uber ATG Hardware Engineering, Design Verification and Supply Chain/Manufacturing Operations teams, as well as with Uber suppliers and Contract Manufacturers (CM).
What You'll Do
- Apply experience and knowledge to define, develop, implement and maintain the manufacturing DFT requirements and test specifications, test program/scripts, fixtures and tools to ensure the appropriate test coverage, processes and controls are managed and executed by Uber suppliers' and internal manufacturing processes and personnel
- Drive, manage and collaborate with suppliers to ensure appropriate manufacturing test processes, deliverables and assurance methods are implemented per plan
- Evaluate and communicate issues and yield rates of new and existing supplier test processes
- Define and drive root cause and corrective actions across functions with internal teams and suppliers
- Define, direct studies and implement test process improvements where appropriate
- Work with Uber Quality Engineering to establish audit procedures appropriate with program and supply base to ensure alignment with Uber ATG quality standards
- Actively manage supplier's performance using manufacturing test and process data
- Generate manufacturing test reports and communicate to appropriate teams and management
What You'll Need
- A strong background in developing test software and fixtures, testing and debugging of custom sensors (e.g. camera, LiDAR) and computer/controller hardware in a manufacturing environment, analyzing and reporting test data and resolving issues, and managing the test process at Uber's suppliers.
- Strong hands-on expertise in manufacturing testing, diagnosis, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Experience in test software programming, tool-chains and scripting including C/C++, Python, LabView, or equivalent environments
- Expertise in developing Manufacturing Test specifications, processes and methods used in the manufacture and assembly of complex PCBAs or enterprise-IT systems , or electro-mechanical components, modules and assemblies used in the ruggedized-computer or automotive/vehicle product base
- Experience and working knowledge of DFT (design-for-test) specifications and implementation in PCB (printed-circuit-board) design and PCBA ICT (in-circuit-test) process and equipment, Boundary Scan methods, JTAG and programming tools
- Experience in generating Hardware Functional verification tests at the PCBA, module, and system level, manufacturing Burn-in testing or equivalent and End-of-line (EOL) integration testing.
- Experience in reporting manufacturing metrics and supplier yield data, and driving quality and continuous improvement processes
Bonus Points If
- B.S. degree in Electrical, Computer or Software Engineering or equivalent with 5+ years experience in developing PCBA/box-build/EOL Manufacturing Test software, infrastructure and fixtures in an EMS/CM environment
- Strong technical background in Linux OS architecture, C programming and Python scripting or equivalent
- Experience with microprocessor, storage and CAN-bus, Ethernet networking controllers based designs and protocols
- Flexibility to work in engineering office and labs, and manufacturing (factory/CM) environments
- Familiarity with supplier and Contract Manufacturer engagement and project management
- Experience with Quality and Process engineering is a plus
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain stakeholder and team engagements, and work independently through the product lifecycle
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
The Global Supply Chain and Business Operations team scales best in class technology and processes to deliver safe, reliable, and accessible transportation for the Uber platform.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.