ORT regulations for Uber partners
Per ORT regulations, drivers must adhere to the terms below. Uber will not pay for citations.
- All ride dropoffs must occur on the departures level
- All ride pickups must occur from the arrivals level
- Avoid any inappropriate behaviour at the airport or anywhere in the city while online.
Pickups at the airport
How pickup requests work
It’s easy to receive trip requests from riders leaving the airport. However, these trips work a little differently than other requests. To receive a trip request at ORT, you need to enter the dedicated staging lot, where you will be placed in line to receive a pickup request from the airport.
Here’s how it works:
- When you enter a queuing area, you are automatically placed into a virtual queue on a “first come, first out” basis
- Maps show areas you can wait to be placed in the airport queues
- If you are within the areas indicated, you will receive requests, if are outside this you won’t
- If you leave and re-enter the dispatch zone, you will be placed at the back of the queue
- Once you receive a request, accept it and pickup your rider on the departures level at ORT
- Remember, you don’t need to contact your rider to confirm their end destination as this is already entered in-app
Pre-Match at ORT
In addition to regular requests, we’ve also launched the Pre-Match feature at OR Tambo International Airport! Pre-Match will prompt uberX partners in the waiting area to begin heading towards the airport terminal a few minutes before a request is received. That way, partners can get as close as possible to the terminal before receiving a pickup request, which minimizes idle time.
Dropoffs at the airport
How drop-off requests work
Uber is a smart option for travellers heading to their airport. At ORT, simply drop-off riders at their requested terminal on the departures level.
Re-Match at ORT
Don’t be surprised when you receive a trip just after you have dropped off a rider at the airport. You have been “Re-Matched”.
If you are lucky enough to do a drop off shortly before a rider requests, you could receive the request without waiting in the queue.
To qualify for Re-Match, driver-partners must complete a drop off at the airport and do a loop on the airport road. If you don’t receive a request, you will get an SMS telling you to go to the waiting area to receive a pickup request. If you hang around at the terminal you will not be eligible and will have to return to the airport waiting area or town.
Uber partners will only be able to wait for airport trip requests if they are in the airport parking area.
The Uber airport parking is located at: 68 Maple Street, Pomona, Kempton Park
- The lot is “first in, first out”; upon entering the parking area, you will be placed in line for the next trip request.
- Note you will not be able to receive requests if you are waiting anywhere else.
- If you do not receive a trip request in 30 minutes, we suggest to rather leave the airport area.
- If you leave the Uber airport parking or turn off your app, you will be placed at the back of the line.
Cancellations at Airport
You keep airports running smoothly.
In order to have a great Uber experience at airports for both riders and drivers, we need your help. Please follow any airport rules and regulations. Additionally, if you’re picking up riders at the airport, please be available to complete all ride requests you accept.
Please do not ask riders for their destination and then cancel or ask them to cancel. This causes problems for riders trying to get home, and drivers waiting for their next trip.
It’s your choice to pick up riders at the airport. Drivers who improperly use the app and intentionally disrupt the service for riders or drivers, including excessively canceling rides or asking riders to cancel rides, may lose the ability to provide transportation to or from airports.