Associate Counsel, Japan
About the Role
This is a newly-created position on the APACx Legal Team that supports all of Uber's businesses in Japan. The Associate Counsel (Japan) will work on a huge variety of cutting-edge legal matters, including a significant focus on the fast-growing UberEats business. This position will be based in Tokyo, with day-to-day supervision provided by the Counsel (Japan) who is also based in Tokyo.
What you'll do
- Join a tight-knit Legal team that provides across-the-board support for APACx (Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea and Taiwan), including day-to-day work and strategic leadership on a wide range of commercial, regulatory and litigation matters.
- Partner closely with cross-functional partners on the Public Policy, Communications, Tax, Insurance, Community Operations, Marketing and People teams to ensure strategic alignment on and successful execution of important initiatives in Japan.
- Work closely with the Legal, Marketing, Product and Operations teams on drafting, reviewing and negotiating a variety of commercial partnerships and transactions; particularly close collaboration with the Sales Team that's working on various agreements for UberEats.
- Conduct legal research and evaluate risks regarding business operations in Japan.
- Prepare legal educational material for training programmes in-house to both legal and non-legal personnel.
What you'll need
- 3-5 years of relevant experience as a qualified lawyer within a recognised law firm or multinational company; in-house experience would be desirable but is not required
- Strong skills in legal drafting, research, negotiation and with commercial and contentious work; significant dispute resolution and regulatory experience would be a plus
- Highly motivated, creative and laser-focused on the details
- The ability to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and to re-prioritize quickly to address shifting business needs; able to thrive in high impact/high profile situations
- Excellent project and stakeholder management skills, organized, and good judgment
- Pragmatic -- able to provide practical, actionable solutions for business clients
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to operate in English and Native-level Japanese is required
- Enthusiastic about Uber!
- Employees are given Uber credits each month.
- Opportunity to work with a dynamic and focused team in a market that is a global priority market for Uber.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada