Sr Software Engineer
About the Role
We're looking for team players with natural IT intuition who can work harder, faster, and smarter while taking technical excellence to a whole new level. Our mission is to make Uber's team superhuman through our toolset, integrations, and platforms. You will work closely with a highly capable team of engineers, business systems analysts, and program managers to ensure Uber is achieving efficiency with ITEng's applications.
What you'll do
As the ITEng - Software Engineer on the Enterprise Applications Team, you will be instrumental in defining, executing, and maintaining the solutions that drive the applications and system standards for Uber employees worldwide. Your decisions will contribute to a user platform and experience that is extremely efficient, scalable, and reliable.
- Design and build applications to help teams measure and improve development velocity
- Own and improve our AWS Service deployments. Delivering automation and CI/CD improvements to enhance our platform and capabilities
- Drive and improve the scalability, reliability and efficiency of critical systems
- Own the lifecycle responsibility for requirements gathering, architecting and designing, vetting, building, developing and managing complex automation and/or interactions between existing solutions
- Establish trust and strong relationships with senior leaders, operations managers, and professional staff across other organizational units
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Participate in our on-call rotation to assess, mitigate or escalate to ensure continuously improving reliability
- Create accurate and clear technical documentation; develop and automate support processes and procedures; deliver training and hand-off to peers/organizational units
- Strive to provide excellent application experience for our end-users
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
- At least five (5) years of software engineering experience
- Writes high-quality code (i.e., reliable, readable, efficient, testable)
- Intermediate knowledge of BASH
- Acquainted with consuming RESTful APIs for SaaS applications
- A good understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, application security, monitoring and storage systems.
- Experience operationalizing and standardizing the support framework of applications at scale via the creation of high-quality technical documentation and the design of policies, processes, and procedures
- Experience with any of the applications in our portfolio: ServiceNow, Atlassian products, Google Suite, Coda, and various project management tools
- Solid understanding of Java, JVM including common tools, frameworks and best practices (Bonus points for experience with the Atlassian Plugin SDK)
- Experience with AWS Services (including but not limited to CloudFormation, ELB, EC2, S3, RDS, CloudFront and CloudWatch), Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins/Bamboo, Puppet, Packer; the intrinsic motivation to expand your knowledge and skill set.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada