Sr Software Engineer
About the Role
We are looking for skilled & motivated engineers to help build core components of the Knowledge and Decision Platform (KDP) at Uber that powers areas like Risk, Safety and more.
The technology you build will allow us to create a turn-key platform that will fuel growth at Uber via many applications as we move real people and things, in 450+ cities across the world. In this role, you will be building distributed infrastructure and services serving ML based decisions at Uber scale for critical business functions where high availability and reliability are not metrics but core requirements.
You will also get to work on systems that detect and mine anomalies in petabytes of data flowing through our systems and surfacing insights and actions that form a strong feedback loop to improve ML models and highly sophisticated decision predicates. This is a very high impact role where you will interface with all major infrastructure teams at Uber.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced engineer who is collaborative, has a healthy sense of curiosity and acts with responsibility to join Uber, work with talented people across the board and help improve our next generation payments systems, scaling it to the next level.
- Actively seek out the toughest technology and engineering problems and solve them as a team.
- Own opportunities and initiatives and drive clarity, convergence and closure across teams.
- Raise the bar on sustainable engineering by improving best practices, producing best in class of code, documentation, testing and monitoring.
- Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our talented team members and passionate leaders alike. Deal with a differences in opinion in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward.
- Act on execution of projects with good judgement and responsibility.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.)
- Coding chops, clean, elegant, bug-free code.
- Advanced, inside-out knowledge of multiple programming languages, data store systems and message queue. We use programming languages like Go, Java, Python, data stores like Cassandra, DynamoDB, Redis and MQs like Kafka- Any programming language is fine.
- Passion for driving continual improvement initiatives on engineering best practices like coding, testing or monitoring.
- Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
- Strong desire to learn and grow, while building the best in class systems
- Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues.
- Solid understanding of distributed systems architecture - consensus, convergence, load balancing, data consistency and performance/efficiency constructs.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada