Senior Communications Associate, Safety
About the Role
The most successful consumer technology companies are forward-thinking storytellers, who put their products--as well as the benefits of those products--front and center in every communication.
Our communications team is responsible for telling Uber's story to the media and third parties - whether it's transforming how we get around town and the lives of people who value independent, flexible work; or cutting congestion in cities by getting more backsides into fewer cars. That's partly about forming last relationships with the key news outlets and journalists in every country where we operate. It also about being creative in how we tell our story, including using social media, as well as working with the public policy team to develop campaigns that make the positive case for reform.
We are looking for someone to work on safety communications covering the U.S., based in either San Francisco, New York, or Washington D.C. You will report to our global Head of Safety Communications, who is based in San Francisco. In this role, you will:
- Manage day-to-day media relations on safety issues and incidents across the United States
- Work with Uber's global safety, community operations, law enforcement, marketing, and product teams to tell our safety story; this will include proactively pitching our existing initiatives, technology and approach, as well as rolling out new initiatives, campaigns, and product launches
- Partner with law enforcement and other public safety leaders
- Assist the broader safety communications team in the U.S. and globally on various product launches and special projects
- A PR strategist with 5+ years proven experience in communications, policy, and/or journalism
- Commensurate experience working cross-functionally in tech organizations and media
- Self starter: We are a company of entrepreneurs, and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Things change fast at a global company like Uber so you'll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure
- Great advocate: We want can distill sophisticated ideas into simple, but intellectually credible, arguments. This person will write well and have the creative ability to tell stories--about our product, people and the ways we're helping to improve life for riders, drivers, delivery people and cities
- Strong campaigner: We succeed by putting together effective campaigns with third parties on behalf of the passengers and drivers who use the app. That means you'll have a bias for action in everything you do
- Great teammate: Success at Uber depends on the ability to coordinate different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It's why we're looking for collaborators to get stuff done--and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally
- Comfortable being uncomfortable: On our team, you will be encouraged to handle challenging topics with emotional intelligence and integrity in a fast paced environment
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada