Software Engineer II, Backend - Micromobility
About the Team
On the Rides Engineering team, we write code that ignites opportunities for millions of people every day. We're focused on making Uber's core ridesharing products faster, safer, and more reliable by building scalable software solutions for riders and drivers on our platform.
Micromobility is a growing line of business which aims to provide riders an alternate low cost and environment friendly transportation option while also decongesting cities. This team is focussed on building an integrated booking experience used by riders to rent e-bikes, e-scooters, e-mopeds etc. in the core rider app through a scalable platform for our micromobility partners around the world to easily integrate with Uber.
About the Role
As a software engineer in the Micromobility team, you will play a crucial role in building the highly performant, globally available, reliable and scalable platform using which 3rd party providers can integrate their business with Uber. You will have an opportunity to join this growing line of business in its very early phase.
At Uber, we take pride in offering the best quality service to our customers - you will collaborate closely with product managers and business operations teams to build for scale, yet focusing on providing intuitive and delightful customer experiences.
What you'll do
- Closely collaborate with product, design and business teams to understand product ideas and business needs and help deliver these as a series of fast experiments.
- Create software systems for integrating third party providers with Uber at scale.
- Write and maintain microservice code in Java/Go to power the micromobility backend.
- Build the balance between velocity (faster delivery) and engineering hygiene.
- Play an active role in team's technical design choices, code reviews and documentation.
- Coach and mentor junior or new engineers joining the micromobility team.
What You'll Need
- 3+ years of software development experience. Experience of developing large scale distributed systems.
- Proficient in object oriented programming with a strong passion of writing code following the right design principles.
- Experience with developing, debugging, and shipping software products on large code bases that span platforms and tools.
- Experience with data models, distributed storage and database systems (SQL/NoSQL).
- Ability to lead projects while working in a team environment. Strong collaboration and communication skills to be able to work independently across teams.
- Championing the best software engineering practices such as continuous integration, delivery, and deployment.
- Fast learner: We're looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. Should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our extensive growth and constantly evolving business environment.
- A great teammate: Believe that you can achieve more on a team -- that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
Bonus points if
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience of working on partner integration platforms and projects.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada