Engineering Manager II, Search
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager of the Search Team, you'll be responsible to lead a team of experienced and talented engineers who can help define large-scale information retrieval systems in Uber's Infrastructure team.
Engineering Managers at Uber exhibit following qualities:
- Builds Trust > Demonstrates personal excellence with empathy, authenticity, inclusivity, and fairness.
- Grows and Adapts > Shows the ability to adapt with resilience and humility.
- Sets Vision > Establishes team purpose and plans for execution.
- Operationalizes > Ensures operational efficiency and impact.
- Develops and Coaches > Invests time in coaching and supports the development of others.
- Connects > Fosters collaboration within and across teams.
What You'll Do
You will invent cutting edge technology that supports the scale and real-time demands of Uber's business, for example an event prediction system (engineering blog post).
As an Engineering Manager II, Search, you will:
- Manage a team of Software Engineers who are building a one-stop, scalable solution for all search-related requirements across Uber.
- Build and develop the team. Attract top talent to the shared vision of the team and create/refine the team structure to scale. At the same time, you mentor and coach individual contributors to grow both technically and managerially.
- Deliver business impact. Work with product and data science partners to come up with success metrics and execute on concrete action plans.
- Collaborate with and influence other teams. Share and communicate roadmaps with external teams, as well as, understand & align team goals to deliver results efficiently.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives working with multiple internal customers.
- Continually challenge what exists and explore what should be changed to best meet our business needs.
- Possess expert knowledge in large scale distributed system design and engineering best practices.
- Participate in setting a vision and objectives for a search platform in alignment with market opportunities.
What You'll Need
- Experience: 12+ years of overall experience with a proven track record as a technical leader and Engineering manager
- 5+ years as a hands-on, technical individual contributor, having played technical leadership roles on projects and features
- BS or MS in Computer Science technical field preferred
- Technology: Strong experience in Software Design and Architecture, having scaled Distributed systems / Micro services in products
- Experience going through the full software cycle of requirements, design, coding/testing, rollout/deploy standard methodologies in delivering world class software and services
- Proven programming skills in Go, Java, Python, or similar.
- People: Strong people leadership skills including growing and mentoring your team members
- Strong skills in attracting top talent
- Vision: Experience evolving and communicating a strong vision/roadmap for your team
- Passion about your team's mission and the self-starting personality to make things happen
- Adept at communicating and collaborating effectively with others, promoting your ideas as well as being humble when you may be wrong
- A track record of delivering results even when requirements are under-specified
- Excited to learn from and guide others and are passionate about creating tools, products and providing support for other engineers.
- Experience with Search, Information retrieval, and Ranking
- Experience with Machine Learning
About the Team
Here at Uber our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water, everywhere, for everyone. Uber serves billions of trips per year and we are currently making investments into the systems and infrastructure necessary to support 100+ million trips per day. A key enabler for the success and growth of Uber's business is a world-class technical infrastructure for information retrieval and discovery.
The Infrastructure team builds solutions to help builders at Uber create innovative products. Within Infrastructure, the Search team delivers information retrieval systems to power various critical search and discovery features in Uber apps, including Rider and Driver Maps, Uber Eats, Groceries, Freight, and many others.
Passionate about search, Apache Lucene, ElasticSearch, Solr, Kafka, or Machine Learning? Come join our team to build Uber's next-gen unified search platform across Uber products.
Our mission: One-stop, scalable solution for all search-related requirements across Uber
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada