Software Engineer Big Data
As a Backend Engineer at Uber, you'll be working on code that's closest to the business. You will build user-facing products, handle and store thousands of payment transactions per second, and develop intelligent fraud prevention strategies that scale. From building maps that help move millions of people, to the messaging systems that let us interact with them - the work you do will impact live riders, eaters, drivers, and operations teams across the globe.
About the Role
Uber is on the lookout for top-notch software engineers to join our Hadoop / Spark Big Data team. This role involves building and managing robust distributed systems to solve infrastructure challenges that delight our quickly growing platform engineering and product engineering teams, enabling the whole engineering organization to iterate at top speed in an open, decentralized environment. If you love working on software platforms that touch the physical world and want some serious production experience at exponential growth, this is it.
Are you among the rare breed of software engineers with a passion for systems, designing and managing highly reliable infrastructure? You should have a demonstrated ability to debug multi-nodal failures and be able to grok complex systems from high level design and deep diving into the source code. You have the opportunity to define, design, and develop systems from the ground up. As open-source is in our DNA, your work will always begin with the community.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Highly proficient in one of the following programming languages: Java, Go, C/C++. Good scripting skills and ability to pick up new ones.
- 2+ years of experience building and managing distributed systems. Sound understanding of distributed system fundamentals.
- Systematic problem solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis.
- Experience with a relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Good working knowledge of networking and RPC stack (TCP/IP, HTTP, Thrift).
- Grit, drive and a strong sense of ownership coupled with a penchant for collaboration
- Under the hood experience with open source big data analytics projects such as Apache Hadoop (HDFS and YARN), Spark, Hive, Parquet, Knox, Sentry, Presto is a plus.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada