Senior Software Engineer II - Order Platform
About the Role
Uber's Commerce Engineering group is responsible for maintaining and enhancing the infrastructure for orders and payments that enables all lines of businesses across Uber to conduct business. All commerce in and out of Uber flows through these mission-critical systems. In 2019 this meant processing over 6.9 billion trips with $65 billion in gross bookings! With strict 4 9's availability requirements, this is one of our largest scalable systems and the complex day-to-day interactions require careful coordination from engineers that have a deep sense of quality, security, and ingenuity.
The Order Platform team is responsible for the lifecycle of all orders (ridesharing trips, freight loads, eats orders, etc.) from beginning to end. As a critical central platform, we straddle the line between infrastructure and product in such a way that we tackle deep technical challenges, at scale, in problem domains that are specific to Uber's business.
As a backend engineer on the Order Platform, you'll be writing reliable and maintainable code that teams across the company rely on while collaborating extensively with those teams to anticipate the platform features required to enable them to launch new and innovative products.
- Relevant experience with systems software engineering. Sound understanding of computer architecture and CS fundamentals.
- Strong problem solving and coding skills
- Experience with developing, debugging, and shipping software products on large code bases that span platforms and tools
- Experience with Software Development processes such as design, planning, implementation, maintenance & documentation
- Proven experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Passion for learning new technologies, domains, and challenging the status quo.
- Grit, drive and a strong feeling of ownership coupled with collaboration.
- Fluent English Skills
- Expertise in one or more object-oriented programming languages (e.g. Java, Golang, Python) and the eagerness to learn
- Experience with production-quality services, deployment, monitoring, and reliability
- Experience with distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
- Ability to decompose sophisticated business problems into clean, extensible, performant services and systems
- Self driven to find opportunities to make things better and efficient.
- Background with payment systems or financial technology
- Experience with building high performance, scalable distributed systems using technologies like Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, or Zookeeper
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.