Technical Program Manager Intern- Summer 2021
About the Team
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role in the delivery of high-impact initiatives. Our programs are an independent source of truth for the organization. We ensure that timely decisions are made and that data and risk are well understood and managed. In the course of delivering programs, we drive continuous improvement within teams and growth of organizational capabilities.
We are a unified team of TPMs reporting directly to Uber's CTO and working across all parts of Uber's engineering and product organization. Our TPMs are driving programs across the entire technology stack from infrastructure and platform engagements to initiatives spanning our product verticals and lines of business such as Mobility, Eats, and Freight!
What You'll Do
- TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver sophisticated and strategic cross-functional projects, often with time constraints.
- Act as a bridge and a connector for the company, thrive in a multifaceted work environment, and are able to balance and prioritize multiple projects with ease!
- You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, informative and productive. Break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with partners at all levels of the organization.
- Build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity.
TPM Work involves the following:
- Project manage sophisticated and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Collaborate with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define landmarks and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project partners. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve ambitious goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, run customer concerns and provide support to teams balancing opposing priorities. Get results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge. This might include publishing a blog post or giving a talk.
- Help handle the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key partners to develop concepts for central initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
- Currently enrolled in school with a graduation date no earlier than December 2021 (ie. must return to school after internship).
- Solid technical background and an ability to comprehend technical designs, challenges and risks.
- Previous Internship experience as a Technical Program Manager or engineer in a software, SaaS, or mobile development environment.
- Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to handle multiple, competing priorities simultaneously, without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.