Technical Writer - Developer Docs (San Francisco, Sunnyvale or New York)
About the role
Uber Engineering has amassed a veritable treasure trove of technical documentation. As a Technical Writer, you will use your writing ability and technical curiosity to make it easy to understand Uber engineering information. You will partner with engineers, other technical writers, product managers, and data scientists to understand user needs and help engineering writing partners build impactful internal engineering documentation.
What you'll do
- Work closely with engineers to produce high-quality technical documentation that engineers trust
- Improve existing onboarding and education processes with documentation, helping engineers get quickly up to speed
- Take initiative to improve the developer experience by testing tools and services, investigating problems, and channeling feedback into high-quality, impactful documentation
- Accurately prioritize documentation, from the layout of content on a page to finding its accurate place in the entire documentation taxonomy, with search optimization in mind
- Define standards and style guidelines that help other writers and engineers
- A minimum of 2 years of experience writing developer-facing documentation and other forms of technical content
- Proven ability to write technically accurate, concise, and detailed content
- Experience writing for the web, software, hardware, or cloud technologies
- Proven ability to organize and structure documents
- Proven ability to independently propose and plan documentation solutions to known problems
- Established ability to learn technical concepts quickly
- Experience crafting API documentation or code examples
- You have experience writing about large-scale web services (knowledge of the various pieces of interacting technologies behind platforms)
- You have experience writing about A/B experimentation, mobile app development, or large-scale data platforms
- You have experience with Confluence and statically generated HTML/CSS/JS content
- You have design and/or data analytics skills
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber