Software Engineer, Java Platform
About the Role
As part of the Java Platform team, you'll help bootstrap a group of specialists focused solely on improving the quality, performance, and stability of Uber's Java ecosystem. You'll work with hardworking, high-velocity engineering teams to solve their most pressing problems. Your code will be at the heart of critical systems across Uber, from infrastructure to user-facing products and services. You'll build frameworks that empower a large and quickly-growing engineering organization to do its best work, moving fast without sacrificing stability, quality, performance, or maintainability. Along the way, you'll shape the future of engineering at Uber.
We need passionate, skilled developers who empathize with their fellow engineers, pursue technical excellence, care deeply about the quality and velocity of Uber's engineering, and want ownership of business-critical code.
What You'll Do
- Drive the development of Java standards and best practices at Uber.
- Design, develop, and maintain world-class Java tools and packages.
- Design and build infrastructure to help teams measure and improve development velocity.
- Work closely with engineers across the company to solve critical software development problems in principled and reusable ways.
- Solid understanding of Java, JVM including common tools, frameworks and best practices.
- Experience designing and maintaining Java libraries.
- Experience building/designing platforms
- Familiarity with semantic versioning and concepts like backwards compatibility.
- Experience building reusable tools, packages and software patterns for developers.
- Passion for software quality, including testing, code review, and documentation.
- Desire to contribute to open source.
- Strong cross-team communication skills.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph. D. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Experience leading, contributing to, or maintaining open-source projects.
- Experience as a technology-specific speaker or evangelist.
- Background in infrastructure and distributed systems.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.