Android Engineer, Navigation
Whether engineering more accurate ETAs or helping drivers navigate to the perfect pick-up spot, our mapping technologies are integral to the magic of the Uber platform. On the Maps Engineering team, we use the latest ML, GPS, and telematics solutions to make transportation on our platform safer and more accessible.
About the Role
You will be part of the Navigation team that builds Uber's navigation experience, which our driver partners use worldwide. As an Android Engineer, you will build clear visual and spoken guidance systems to help drivers move people and goods as efficiently, and as safely, as possible.
What You'll Do
- Substantially evolve key navigation systems used by millions of drivers a day in the core trip flow
- Work alongside backend engineers to drive end-to-end experiences that involve visual, text and voice guidance
- Partner closely with the sister teams in Maps Display, Maps Routing, Driver and Eats Courier to increase consistency and efficiency during the Pickup and Dropoff (PUDO) experience.
- Deep collaborations with UberAI, basemaps, safety and UXR teams
- Half a billion minutes on navigation screen time per day
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Strong experience in either Kotlin and/or Java
- 2+ years of professional experience building in either mobile platform/sdk/dev tools, or mobile consumer facing features
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or a related field
- At least five (5) years of software engineering experience
- Experience with writing, releasing, maintaining mobile code
- Experience analyzing a feature in production using analytics and experiments
- Experience efficiently collaborating on projects
- Experiences with mapping or navigation solutions
- Contributions to Android community via open source
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.