Staff Software Engineer (ML) - Uber Eats - Search & Discovery
About the Role
The Eats Discovery group is responsible for the serving, ranking, and end to end experience of the Discovery-Feed and Search functionalities in Uber Eats. The group's mission is to build a reliable, personalized, and leverage-able platform to enable effortless food discovery for consumers everywhere. As the world moves towards high adoption of delivery services, we believe that effortless discovery will be one of the biggest product differentiators in the years to come.
The group owns 3 tier-1 (business critical) services, 30 machine learning models in production and over 300 data pipelines which ETL and monitor the data used for these models.
Within Eats Discovery, the Eater Search team is helps eaters find their favorite stores and items quickly, efficiently, and delightfully. We focus on search retrieval, ranking, personalized recommendations, multi-objective optimization, and targeted user optimization.
Depending upon their previous expertise and interest, they will be expected to be heavily involved in
- Building scalable retrieval and ranking systems
- Helping setup the right tech / tools / processes to speed up experimentation velocity
- Working closely with ML-Infrastructure teams (like Search Infra and Michelangelo)
- Building the state-of-the-art Search&Discovery platform for UberEats
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
- A strong focus on execution, delivery, and customer impact.
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
- Experience working with ML models, technologies, and large scale retrieval and ranking systems.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.