BI Platform Engineer
With over 20,000 employees globally, Uber is bolstered by a network of tools and services to improve productivity, business operations, sustainability, and corporate infrastructure. The Information Technology team makes Uber a better place to work.
About the Role
The ideal candidate will be passionate about building innovative solutions for sophisticated business problems and collaborating cross-functionally. As a BI platform engineer on the team, you will work closely with other team members to administer and support the infrastructure for BI platforms, including software upgrade, analysis and planning, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and day to day maintenance.
What You'll Do
- Install, configure, migrate, and manage the infrastructure for reporting applications under a high availability setup
- Monitor server activity and usage to proactively identify potential performance issues
- Utilize various AWS components to automate day-to-day activities to ensure reliability and availability of services
- Run and automate cleanup scripts and backup and restore processes
- Work closely with business system analysts, data engineers, and security engineers to ensure application and infrastructure components are optimized for reporting requirements
- Create and maintain user documentation of infrastructure components and existing processes
- Perform periodic server restart as a part of maintenance to ensure all unused memory objects are freed up
- Perform software sync activities like Planned upgrades, Configuration changes, and patch deployments
- Periodic monitoring of Server resources (CPU, Memory, etc.) and parameters (heap size, logging parameters, etc.) in coordination with Windows Server Admin
- During Disaster Recovery situation, prepare the DR server cluster and coordinate with the load balancer team to point the server traffic to the DR server cluster
- Address performance issues of the dashboards as and when reported by the users at the server level
- Investigate and fix issues in case of Tableau server node or cluster failures
- Prepare user documentation of product subsystems
- Proven experience automating supervising tasks and server job processes
- Bachelor's Degree or an Associate Degree with 3-5 years of work experience.
- 3+ years demonstrated ability using Tableau, Looker, and other reporting applications
- 1+ years as a Tableau admin, with hands-on experience implementing, configuring, patching, and upgrading Tableau server in a Unix environment
- 2+ years demonstrated ability in Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop
- 3+ years demonstrated ability in software development process using Java or Python
- 3+ years demonstrated ability in Project life cycle activities on development and maintenance projects.
- 2+ years of experience in Design and architecture review
- Expertise in working with various AWS components: EC2, ALB, S3, Athena, Redshift, Glacier
- Experience in executing various admin tasks like user creation, Server monitoring, performing upgrades, doing root cause analysis for failures, optimizing performance, etc.
- Experience in Capacity Management, Reporting, and Disaster Recovery
- Experience in maintaining profiles, roles, access rights, and permissions for Tableau user groups and objects
- Experience in weekly and monthly uptime/availability reports and provide estimates and timelines for work efforts
- Experience using Tableau's REST API functionality, TSM command-line utility, and Tableau PostgreSQL database
- Ability to independently lead and prioritize feature work and projects
- Exemplary teamwork and communication skills
- A good understanding of Agile methodologies
- A good understanding of Tableau permissions for users and groups
- Ability to work in a team in a diverse/ multiple partner environment
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.