Senior UX Researcher - Advanced Technologies Group
Here at Uber's Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are on a mission to bring safe, reliable self-driving transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto, and Boulder are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. We are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Our Product & Design team builds on a platform of deep insight for our users both internally and externally, turning complex technology into elegant product solutions.
About the Role
A Sr User Experience Researcher for ATG, you'll be a part of a team of designers crafting platforms and tooling that are responsible for bringing our autonomous technologies to market. Your mission is to advise and influence product decisions with outstanding insights about people, technology, and services in our current and future world! You will have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple initiatives and locations. You'll play an integral role in crystallizing user problems, the project vision, and strategy to build the future of transportation. Uber's work in advanced technologies has many exciting challenges ahead, and we're excited to welcome you as a team member! This is a full-time position in our SF office.
What You'll Do
- Shape internal products to help our autonomy development, and management of the self-driving fleet.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to help research, brainstorm, and deliver the product experience for some of our most critical simulation and autonomy development products.
- Design and conduct qualitative studies, including field observations and interviews, remote and in-person usability studies for existing and future products
- Design and conduct quantitative studies, such as structuring and analyzing surveys to evaluate the impact of product changes and capture insights at scale
- Ability to identify and explore new opportunities through creative research methods and co-design sessions to help define product roadmaps, vision, and strategy
- Collaborate with other researchers, designers, product managers, data scientists, marketing and operations managers, and engineers across ATG
- Synthesize and communicate research findings to advise business decisions through rich storytelling via presentations, reports, workshops, and any other novel, creative approaches that you invent
- Adapt and innovate research methods to meet product needs by delivering high-quality insights in a fast-paced work environment
- Contextualizing your insights for specific use cases across autonomy development products
- Build insight across the organization to improve the products we build for our users as a champion for our users
- Ship, measure and improve the designs based on quantitative and qualitative feedback.
- BA/BS degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Statistics, Psychology, Computer Science, Anthropology, Communications, Information Science, Sociology, or equivalent practical experience
- 2 + years of professional experience conducting user research
- MS or Ph.D. degree in HCI, Psychology, Statistics, Computer Science
- Track record of demonstrating excellent command of research questions within a given domain and of technical tools for the analysis of data within that domain
- Previous experience driving research programs that have had a lasting impact on product and design decisions
- Familiarity with a programming language commonly used for data manipulation and computational statistics (such as Python, R, Matlab, C++, Java or Go), and in SQL
- Previous experience conducting research in other global regions and working on products with global impact
- Previous experience identifying, onboarding, and leading external research, translation, transcription, and tools vendors
- Ability to travel 25% of the time
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.