Sr Software Engineer II
About the Role
We are looking for skilled & motivated engineers to help build core components for the Risk Hyderabad team. The Risk team plays a crucial role in our mission to weed out the bad actors in our system while ensuring powerful, intuitive and frictionless user experiences for our customers (riders, eaters etc). Specifically, we are looking for role in Risk Investigations team. The mission of this team is to leverage human intelligence to be the frontline for identifying emerging risk scenarios & help move the learning to predictive risk systems. This is a very high impact role that will give you a holistic perspective on the business and brings with it the opportunity to collaborate and interact with a global cross-functional group. The technology you build will allow us to create a turn-key platform that will fuel growth at Uber via many applications as we move real people and things, in 450+ cities across the world.
In this role, you will be building distributed infrastructure and services serving ML based decisions at Uber scale for critical business functions where high availability and reliability are not metrics but core requirements. You will also get to work on systems that detect and mine anomalies in petabytes of data flowing through our systems and surfacing insights and actions that form a strong feedback loop to improve ML models and highly sophisticated decision predicates. This is a very high impact role where you will interface with all major infrastructure teams at Uber.
Does this sound exciting to you? Are you a tested team player, strategic thinker and executor? We want to hear from you.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
- PhD/MS/BS in Computer science and 10+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Coding chops, clean, elegant, bug-free code in languages like Java, GO
- Prior experience as a tech lead who has mentored/led small teams in building product features at scale
- The ability to go deep, but also appreciate the challenge of going broad. Uber has a huge stack, and we're all over it: backend services, real-time dispatch, machine learning, mobile, web development, data and analytics, infrastructure, marketing systems.
- Skilled at architecture: Solid understanding of distributed systems architecture - consensus, convergence, load balancing, data consistency and performance/efficiency constructs
- Intelligence. High adaptability. Ability to learn quickly.
- Strong desire to learn and grow, while building the best in class systems
- Experienced at Cross Team Communication: Strong flair for effective communication and collaboration - you know when to push on and when to step back. We work closely with several groups and supporting these other groups is a key part of scaling our business.
- Must have led teams of engineers to deliver autonomously on large cross-functionally driven projects
- Push the bar on engineering best practices and help leadership build a strong engineering culture
- Ability to Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues
- Passionate: Engineers at Uber know what it means to truly own their services. Quality, performance, and robustness are expected of all services. Engineers take ownership of the uptime of their services, and they are empowered with the tools to do what is needed to keep them running. Great monitoring, alerting, and test coverage are championed at Uber and we provide engineers with the tools to do so.
- An ability to have fun while working on the hardest problems
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.