Senior Data Scientist - Road Safety
The driving safety data science team provides algorithmic solutions to reduce driving incidents on the Uber platform and support riders and drivers with empathy and care when driving incidents occur. We leverage large-scaled telematics data and cutting-edge machine learning technologies to understand unsafe driving situations and derive insights that can drive and influence safety products. Our team includes highly skilled and experienced data scientists with diverse backgrounds in physical science and social science.
About the Role
As a data scientist in the Safety and Insurance team, you will have the opportunity to take on some of the hardest problems in all of Uber: improving the safety of cities and people all over the world. This data scientist position focuses on algorithmic solutions to understanding and improving driving safety. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced, intellectually-curious data scientist to make an impact in one of Uber's most critical divisions.
In this role, you will partner closely with product management, operations, engineering, and actuarial teams, to create data science and machine learning solutions to support safety and insurance initiatives. You will leverage data platforms such as Hive and Spark and telematics data such as GPS, IMU, and Maps. You will play an influential role in helping drive critical product and policy decisions.
What you'll do
- Develop and lead statistical and machine learning efforts in relation to your projects. Our projects use machine learning, experimentation, signal processing, time series analysis, geospatial analysis, natural language processing, and more. We'll give you as many challenges as you can seek and help you grow to tackle more
- Use large scale data processing such as Spark, Hive, and Uber's proprietary machine learning platform, and more
- Collaborate with engineering to write and implement algorithms in production
- Design and analyze experimental and observational studies; communicate findings; facilitate launch decisions
- Work with a cross-functional team that includes product management, engineering, operations, and others to execute on projects
- Ph.D., M.S. or Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative fields. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 1+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 3+ years of industry experience as a Data Scientist or equivalent)
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics.
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing, and model development
- Ability to use a language like Python or R to work efficiently at scale with large data sets.
- Proficiency in languages like SQL, R, and Spark.
- M.S. degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative fields with 3+ years of industry experience
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or another quantitative field
- Experience in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments)
- Experience in algorithm development and prototyping.
- Experience with productionizing algorithms for real-time systems
- Proficiency in Java or Scala
- Experience in working with motor/auto insurance and telematics.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada