Software Engineer - Metadata Platform Team (Data)
As a Backend Engineer at Uber, you'll be working on code that's closest to the business. You will build user-facing products, handle and store thousands of payment transactions per second, and develop intelligent fraud prevention strategies that scale. From building maps that help move millions of people, to the messaging systems that let us interact with them - the work you do will impact live riders, eaters, drivers, and operations teams across the globe.
About the Role
The mission of the Metadata Platform team is to power data fluency to help Uber make confident, data-driven decisions. We are building a world class metadata ecosystem to ensure that data at Uber is discoverable, understandable and trustworthy. We are building Uber's metadata store, data lineage tracking system, automatic cost consumption reduction tool and general data quality platform.
What You'll Do
- Design and develop backend systems to power Uber's metadata ecosystem
- Collaborate with TPMs, area leads and other Engineers to help define, scope, and implement high quality features that solve critical business problems
- Break down requirements into architecture and deliver code, while keeping operational issues in mind
- Write clear documentation so that other engineers can jump in and get things done
- Champion best software engineering practices such as continuous integration, delivery, and deployment.
- Write quality code and documentation which can be used as the example for your company
- Mentor other engineers and build a strong culture of quality, handle conflicts well and help build consensus
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience coding with C++, Java, Python, or Go
- Experience with Big Data and Hadoop ecosystem
- Deep understanding of backend and database, mono-repo, and microservice architectures
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.