Senior Design Manager - Rides Studio, Foundations
Our Design teams are focused not just on the functional, but also on joy and delight. Our work ignites opportunity and changes the way the world moves, and we design for users around the world of all backgrounds and abilities.
About the Role
Uber Rides Studio is seeking an experienced manager to lead a group of researchers, designers, and writers passionate about safety across our Driver and Rider applications and services. Beneath our apps is an internationally diverse world of cities, transportation logistics, market making, and interactions among drivers, riders, and businesses.
You'll be collaborating with design leads and cross-functional partners to help craft the vision and strategies behind some of the most important and exciting initiatives in the company! You will be working with the design team who will be remote now but mainly located in San Francisco and will help them deliver smart products and grow as creative professionals. You should feel comfortable changing elevations quickly, from high-level critical thinking to evaluating research, interaction, and visual design execution.
What you'll do
- A staff-level portfolio of work, but your interests lie more in helping others become outstanding designers, writers, and researchers.
- Set the bar high by knowing what quality looks like and how to help product teams ship at that quality with minimal impact on velocity.
- Drive best practices in overall experiences and product design -- way beyond the visual.
- Help designers become the collaborative glue that encourages product management and engineering while also developing their core competencies at envisioning what could be.
- Hire excellent people by effectively evaluating and hiring designers and researchers who can take Uber to new levels of excellence.
- Help everyone excel not just within your team, and have your process and approach be celebrated, emulated and copied by teams throughout the organization
- 6+ years of experience and at least 2+ of management experience
- Experience leading and growing product design teams
What you'll need
- MS or Ph.D. degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Design, Psychology, Computer Science or a related field
- Clear and effective written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Extensive experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research crafted to improve the user experience of smartphone apps
- Ability to mentor junior and senior designers, researchers, and writers to bring out their best work
- Previous experience driving research programs that have had a lasting impact on product and design decisions
- Experience in remaining organized and strategically scaling the way your team work
- Expertise in experimental design
- Experience in taking products from concept stages to launch.
- Proven problem-solving experience and experience overcoming challenges.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.