Senior Data Scientist - Elevate
About the Role
The Elevate team is weaving the everyday flight into the Uber platform. We are developing Uber Air to enable aerial ridesharing at scale via eVTOLs - all-electric, vertical takeoff and landing vehicles, with a planned launch in 2023. The full-stack engineer will focus on developing tools for operating Uber Elevate's aerial ridesharing services at scale.
What you'll do
- Develop a deep understanding of aerial ridesharing operations and airspace automation for Urban Air Mobility (UAM).
- Provide analysis using optimization and machine learning models to improve business processes and decisions.
- Understand the capabilities and limitations of existing algorithms and models and evolve them to satisfy future product requirements.
- Work in a multi-functional team (engineers, designers, product) to deliver on critical business goals for Elevate.
- Validation and verification of model characterization and sensitivities.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship in data processing and architecture, optimization, prediction, and experimentation methods and models.
- Design and analysis of product experiments to draw detailed and impactful conclusions
- Partner closely with engineering, operations, business, and infrastructure groups and communicate findings clearly to technical and non-technical partners
- Build and validate prototypes to demonstrate the benefits from proposed changes to decision systems and operational processes.
- Ph.D., MS or Bachelors degree in, Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Computer Science or other quantitative field. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 2+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 5+ years of proven experience required)
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, economics, and analytics.
- Experience formulating linear, convex, and nonlinear optimization problems.
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing, and model development
- Strong experience using Python or R and SQL/Spark and to work efficiently at scale with large data sets.
- Experience in building and evaluating algorithms and optimizing for performance in production.
- Customer obsession and the ability to collaborate with product managers and designers to balance quality, speed, and scalability.
- Experience working with large data sets involving geospatial data
- Ability to deliver on tight timelines and move quickly while maintaining attention to detail
- Experience with big data using technologies like Hadoop, Hive, and Spark a plus.
- Experience using persistent and non-persistent storage systems and caching systems.
- You enjoy reading academic papers and implementing experimental systems
- You have experience speaking publicly at industry recognized ML conferences as well as being published in the field
- Ability to build quick visualizations from experimentation results and present them to the stakeholders
- Proven Software engineering proficiencies in production applications.
- Sophisticated knowledge of experimental design and analysis
- Experience in Aviation
About the team
The candidate will be assigned to the software engineering org within Elevate and initially work with the Engineering Manager, Airspace Systems. The candidate will closely collaborate with other specialists, data scientists and designers to deliver on their day-to-day goals. The candidate will need to thrive in a fast paced and multidisciplinary environment.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.