Senior Software Engineer: Data
Data underpins our products, enabling intelligent decision making and improved user experiences. Leveraging the latest ML, Big Data, data visualization, and NLP technologies, the Product Platform team works at the intersection of engineering and data science to enhance our services and deliver actionable insights.
About the Role
The Hadoop Platform team seeks to build intelligent data services that will have a profound impact on how we march towards the vision of Uber's data-driven, real-time marketplace. Our team builds libraries and highly available Tier-0 services around Hadoop stack (Kafka, Hadoop Ingestion Pipelines, Parquet) to ease user interaction with the Big Data world. We are currently looking for an Experienced Senior Software Engineer to join the Data Schema team as a Technical leader who can build the next generation of Schema Standardization and Data Validation services.
What You'll Do
- Design and implement solutions for Tier-0 services to support Uber's analytical data infrastructure.
- Propose technical solutions to perform data validation at scale, build libraries that are used by 500+ services across Uber. Your work is imperative to the quality of data at Uber.
- Understand the data needs of multiple partner teams and build cross-functional solutions in a collaborative work environment.
- Take ownership of Top tier highly available services.
- Mentor and support your fellow teammates. Help review the team's technical design, code, and documentation
- Drive ongoing efficiency and reliability improvements through design and automation: performance, scaling, observability, and monitoring.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering or similar field with 4+ years of experience.
- Experience with developing, debugging, and shipping software products on large code bases that span platforms and tools.
- Strong problem solving and coding skills in at least one of the following languages. Java/Go/C++/Python
- Experience with Software Development processes such as design, planning, implementation, maintenance & documentation
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Familiarly with different types of data file formats such as Parquet, Avro, Protobuf
- Experience with large scale distributed data pipelines.
- Understanding of big data infrastructure tools and software such as Kafka, HDFS, Hive.
- Passion for learning new technologies, domains and challenging the status quo
- Experience with leading a technical project from design to production deployment.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.