Senior Counsel, Safety
About the Role
We are currently searching for a Senior Counsel, Safety who will specialize in supporting our global background checks and screening programs, and help us continue to build strong safety policies and standards across our global platforms. You'll work on the Safety Legal team, which provides legal advice and counseling to the Safety team, as well as to operations, product, and public affairs teams throughout all of Uber's global regions and lines of business.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Working with Uber's Legal Director, Safety and many others to shape policies and standards that facilitate effective screening of drivers, delivery people, and others who use Uber's technology platform;
- Managing compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and similar state and local laws in the ridesharing and delivery partner onboarding process;
- Collaborating with colleagues internationally and across a wide range of legal disciplines to implement screening programs in other countries;
- Representing Uber in discussions and negotiations with vendors, regulators, and other third parties when relevant subject matter expertise is needed;
- Developing written policies and guidelines, training, and playbooks for internal client groups as a tool to deliver critical legal advice; and
- Identifying compliance risks in the onboarding process and successfully driving mitigation efforts.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in private practice, government service, and/or in-house role
- Law degree from an accredited institution and active membership in good standing in at least one state bar
- Fluent in English
- Experience with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and applicable regulations
- Experience with Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) guidelines and similar state and local laws
- Experience with state penal codes and other criminal statutes
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and influence, persuade, and build consensus
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and growing into new areas of responsibility, with self-starter qualities
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Superior analytical and legal skills, mature judgment, and innovative thinking
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.