Tech Lead Manager (TLM) - Routing Engine, APIs, & Traffic - Maps
Whether engineering more accurate ETAs or helping drivers navigate to the perfect pick-up spot, our mapping technologies are integral to the magic of the Uber platform. On the Maps Engineering team, we use the latest ML, GPS, and telematics solutions to make transportation on our platform safer and more accessible.
About the Role
The Maps Routing Team owns a stack of technologies that produces the best route from point A to point B and predicts time (ETAs) and distance for all of Uber. This includes modeling traffic on roads from GPS locations, sophisticated routing algorithms with a variety of cost functions, turn-by-turn navigation experience, and machine-learned ETA predictions. We power many Uber products ranging from pickup ETAs, marketplace matching, fares, EATs, Freight, Bicycles and more to come! We collaborate closely with many teams at Uber and run user facing experiments regularly.
You'll be responsible for building cutting-edge mapping solutions at global scale which only 1 or 2 other companies in tech can claim! As a Tech Lead/Teach Lead Manager on this team, you will be the architect, designer and coder of the project. You'll work closely with the product management, data scientists and other engineers to make the team's vision a reality. You'll have the opportunity to lead cross-team efforts, mentor your team members and establish engineering best practices across Uber.
Prior experience in mapping is NOT required. If you have experience building either distributed storage or file systems, high performance real time systems, batch and real time data processing pipelines or public APIs, then you'll fit right in.
What You'll Do
- You would work closely with a group of motivated and passionate problem solvers. We care about our inclusive and collaborative culture, where everyone can contribute their talent.
- Routing is central to Uber's success, you will work on incredibly important and visible projects every day. Our code moves real people and things from point A to point B.
- We work with a variety of big data ranging from map data, geospatially indexed data and sensory data (GPS) that provides endless opportunities for modeling and analytics.
- Build world class distributed systems optimized for high throughput and low latency. Solve challenging problems with cutting edge algorithms and machine learning models. You would be able to innovate and build things that have never been built before.
- High scalability engineering. Build world class engineering for high throughput and low latency distributed systems. We take ownership in creating elegant and reliable code.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience coding with C++, Java, Python, or Go
- Experience leading engineering teams as a TL (Tech Lead) or a TLM (Tech Lead manager) or hands on EM (Engineering Manager)
- Master's Degree in Computer science or related fields (such as other Sciences or Math)
- At least eight (8+) years of software engineering experience.
- At least two (2+) years of TL, TLM or EM experience leading multi month, multi person projects.
- Ability to create a multi year technical roadmap
- Must be able to multitask, lead and project manage many projects simultaneously
- Ability to direct work of junior engineers and create project plans and sprints for the team.
- You should enjoy mentoring junior engineers and invest in their professional growth
- Experience designing and deploying high performance, highly scalable distributed systems with extensive monitoring and logging practices
- Ability to work with data scientists to launch and interpret results of experiments. This can involve interacting with large data processing pipelines, distributed data stores, and file systems.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the principles of fault-tolerance, reliability and durability.
- Knowledge of graph traversal algorithms: Dijkstra's, DFS, BFS, A*, contraction hierarchies, etc. is a plus
- Experience building geospatial services and datasets, such as maps data, traffic patterns, etc.
- Experience in API development & building microservices
- Deep understanding on big data architecture and hands on building pipelines (using e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Hdfs, Kafka, Presto etc.)
- Experience with large-scale data warehousing architecture, data modeling & ML
- Outstanding verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to collaborate and influence across multiple levels of an organization
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.