Staff Software Engineering Manager - Vehicle Platform - Self Driving
About the Role
Uber ATG is seeking a Staff Engineering Manager to lead our Vehicle Platform Software team. This team is focused on operating systems, services, frameworks and tooling required to enable onboard autonomy software to safely access the compute, storage, networking, sensing and control capabilities of ATG's self-driving vehicles. The platform also enables connections to offboard systems, to allow the vehicles to be deployed, monitored and debugged as an organized fleet - a necessity for our vision to scale up operations.
As a Staff Engineering Manager at Uber ATG, you'll be responsible for organizing the work of your team, collaborating with other functions, and leading cross-team efforts to improve our vehicle platform. Working at the intersection of technology and people, you will balance long-term direction, health of the team, and individual careers of team members to ensure success in all these dimensions.
What You'll Do
- Lead teams responsible for building and improving our vehicle platform software to enable advancements in autonomy and the support of multiple vehicle platforms
- Collaborate with software teams to include OS & Networking team, Calibration team, Sensor System team, Vehicle Connect team, Vehicle Integration team
- Foster the professional growth of your team and maintain overall team health
- Contribute to the long-term vision of the team and organization
- Work closely with other engineering leaders in software, hardware, systems, and operations to ensure optimized designs are delivered
- See your team's work deployed fast and often into the real world and challenge yourself as you switch from one issue to another
- Ensure the Vehicle Platform is being architected to build and deploy stable, reliable systems
- Collaborate effectively and build relationships with ATG partners in Pittsburgh, Seattle, and San Francisco
- 8+ years of experience managing teams
- Experience managing multiple projects or teams at a time
- Track record of growing and developing engineering leaders and building teams
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and adapt easily to meet the needs of our substantial growth and constantly evolving business environment
- Ability to help teams prioritize, execute effectively, and be accountable for deliverables
- Passion and a sense of ownership over everything you do
- Knowledge of engineering methodologies with sophisticated, safety-critical software within automotive or another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical, transportation)
- Experience in managing multi-site teams
- Background in Computer Science or Autonomy Systems
- Experience collaborating with hardware and systems engineers
- Experience with operating systems, services, and frameworks
- Experience with sensors, networking, or storage
- 4+ years leading managers
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.