Legal Director, Middle East and Africa
About the Role
A unique opportunity has arisen for a high calibre and inspirational Legal Director to bring-together, lead and manage the legal teams in the Middle East and Africa region for Uber. MEA is a key strategic region for Uber and as the Legal advisors for the business, it's our job to peer around corners and ensure that we are well-positioned for the future.
As the Legal Director MEA, you will report to the Associate General Counsel for APAC & EMEA and ideally be based in Dubai. You'll also be expected to be willing to travel across the region (and the world!) where needed.
What you'll do
- Collaborate closely with Uber's global Deputy General Counsel, AGC of APAC & EMEA and other members of the legal department on commercial, regulatory, corporate, litigation, employment, privacy, policy and other issues impacting Uber throughout the MEA region.
- Lead and develop a legal team of over 20 diverse lawyers and legal professionals in the UAE, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Nigeria, Kenya, Pakistan and elsewhere in the region.
- Identify and manage legal risks and opportunities across the region for the Careem and Uber businesses.
- Be a trusted advisor and partner to senior leadership inside and outside the region, as well as to the functional leadership teams across both Uber and Careem (e.g., Human Resources, Finance, Tax, Policy and Communications and Business Development) and, with your team, provide critical and proactive legal and strategic input on a wide range of complex and strategic business, regulatory and related policy issues.
- Understand, interpret and apply current regulations as applicable to Uber's various business models in the region and help to shape future regulation.
- Together with the team, you will lead on legal work in regulatory matters and litigation, including drafting, attending hearings and generally advising the business on how to best handle potentially contentious situations.
- Advance the compliance agenda while balancing the need for rigorous compliance with pragmatic, creative advice to move the business forward and allow for the continuous innovation and development of our products' pipeline.
- With the team, be an active partner to the business on commercial contracts such as technology agreements, promotional agreements, sponsorships, partnerships as well as general procurement and marketing and advertising initiatives across the region.
- Where appropriate, ensure consistency of approach to legal and regulatory issues across Careem and Uber.
- Be a strong people leader, and effectively develop and manage a high-performing, diverse team and outside counsel to achieve our legal and regulatory priorities.
- Identify areas for synergy and efficiency between the Uber and Careem legal teams.
- Exercise sound judgment and provide pragmatic advice to enable commercial objectives in the region and assist with developing the business and people strategy for the region.
- Efficiently manage the Legal budget for the region, and compliance with outside counsel guidelines.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
- Significant and relevant post-qualification experience at a top law firm or in-house (ideally 12+ years, with some material in-house experience)
- Strong academic credentials and law degree from a top law school or university
- Excellent business judgment, communication, diplomatic and interpersonal skills (with a high level of emotional intelligence)
- Superior analytical and legal skills, mature judgment, innovative thinking and a desire to take the initiative and think two steps ahead.
- Ability to translate complex legal issues and ambiguity into clear and simple advice, to communicate effectively with non-legal internal colleagues, and to interface with a broad range of senior business managers, executives and other colleagues and professionals across our company.
- Must be a strategic thinker with business acumen in addition to a legal expert. Excellent business judgment, outstanding communication, and interpersonal skills to inspire and influence employees at every level and build trust throughout the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and influence, persuade, and build consensus as well as thrive in high impact/high profile situations.
- To be able to think on your feet and make quick decisions
- The highest standards of integrity, ethics and punctuality
- Proactive and assertive in approach
- Credible and professional
- Fluency in written and spoken English with fluency in any other MEA language being a strong plus. Other relevant languages may be an advantage too.
- Enthusiasm about Uber, Careem and our mission!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.