About the Role
As an Engineering Manager at Uber, you will be leading a group of engineers working with product managers, data scientists and other engineering teams to build solutions that support hundreds of thousands of concurrent trips by drivers and couriers all around the globe.
What You'll Do
- Deliver business impact by working with partners to come up with success metrics and execute on concrete action plans.
- Build and lead teams while attracting top talent to the shared vision of the team. You will also build and refine the team structure to scale.
- Mentor and coach individual contributors to ensure career growth.
- Collaborate and influence other business partners by sharing and communicating roadmaps with external teams & setting shared goals across teams to collectively deliver results efficiently.
- Establish the team vision and roadmap by assessing the direction of the company and the needs of customer teams. You will align and translate this into short team tactical plans and a longer-term vision.
- Adapt your team's execution and reprioritize projects to meet changing requirements or unexpected challenges.
- Understand a how your team supports the larger Uber ecosystem and the critical dependencies therein. You ensure that critical tech debt is addressed appropriately and that on-call rotations are effective, so that these services and pipelines consistently meet their SLAs.
- Understand the architecture of your team's services and pipelines as well as any that are dependent. Your prior experience will allow you to provide input and guidance on the design of new components where needed.
- Experience working with PMs, designers and/or data scientists and infrastructure teams to identify, prioritize, and solve problems
- 2+ years of experience managing teams of 6 or more engineers across all levels.
- A computer science, or engineering undergraduate degree or equivalent experience, including hands-on software development experience.
- 4+ years of experience managing teams of 8 or more engineers across all levels.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to concisely and accurately present sophisticated technical designs or other engineering information to engineers, data scientists, and PMs.
- Track record of managing, recruiting, and retaining strong engineering talent and growing effective teams.
- Experience with large-scale, distributed systems, including SQL/NoSQL storage, transactional updates, asynchronous processing with message queues like Kafka, logging, system monitoring, and performance tuning.
- Experience with large-scale data storage and processing pipelines with technologies like Spark, Hive, HBase, etc.
- Experience working with multi-functional, globally distributed teams to coordinate work and deliver solutions that span multiple teams.
About the Team
At Uber our Engineering Leaders focus on empowering their teams to design and build toward their teams' vision. Engineering Managers focus on efficiently influencing multiple managers and teams so that everyone delivers against stated plans.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.