Software Engineer (Data Platform) - Freight
About Uber Freight
Uber Freight connects shippers with truckers, much like the way Uber connects riders and drivers. The Freight team believes that empowering truck drivers will bring more open, efficient, and increasingly safer transportation to our roads. We are a team of sharp, entrepreneurial individuals bringing technologies, algorithms and lessons from Uber's core business into the $700B U.S. Transportations & Logistics industry. Comprised of Uber veterans and newcomers, we are looking for candidates who share our enthusiasm for disrupting today's toughest challenges in transportation. We are a Customer Obsessed team, and care deeply about our users, continually looking for opportunities to improve their lives.
About the Role
Data is the true differentiator for Uber Freight in the long run. We need your help to build out the data flywheel at Uber Freight. Better data will enable the team to build better products: understanding carrier preferences helps us surface the right shipment at the right time. In turn, better product offerings will attract more usage and generate more data for the team to leverage. You will work cross functionally with Data Scientists, Product Manager, Business Analyst and other Backend Engineers to make this happen.
- Minimum of 3+ years software development experience
- Experience with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra, Hadoop)
- Experience in working on large-scale distributed systems
- Experience developing backend micro-services (Golang, Java or Python)
- CS degree or equivalent experience
- Deep understanding on big data architecture and hands on building pipelines/frameworks/services (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Hdfs, Kafka, Presto etc.)
- At least two (2) years of software engineering experience
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Experience working in organization of different data maturity. You not only know what a mature data organization looks like but you also have opinions on how to plot a path there
- Knowledge of the logistics and freight industry a plus
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.