Manager, Privacy Engineering
About the Role
Privacy Engineering's mission is to make Uber the industry model for consumer privacy through differentiated products and services, standards in engineering, and transparent communications. We are focusing on building both privacy technology platforms and user-facing products that give our users choice around their data, build trust, advance data privacy, and enable our business.
We are seeking an engineering leader with technical depth, product intuition, and entrepreneurial spirit to join our Privacy Engineering team. The Privacy Engineering Manager will play a key role throughout the planning, development, and delivery of privacy solutions, in close collaboration with product management, design, data science, security, legal, policy, communications, as well as many product and engineering teams across Uber.
You should be comfortable in uncharted territory as we build innovative privacy technologies and grow user trust. We need your skills and enthusiasm to make it happen.
What you'll do
- Recruit, mentor talents, and develop a strong technical team
- Build a diverse, inclusive, fair, collaborative, and dynamic team environment
- Establish and communicate team vision and goals
- Work with stakeholders to craft product/technology strategy and roadmap for privacy and align cross-functional roadmaps
- Lead team to plan and deliver against roadmap, both in quality and quantity, in a sustainable way
- Establish and manage processes for efficient team execution
- Drive engineering excellence by evangelizing and adopting best practices with well defined goals and metrics
- Foster cross-functional, cross-team collaboration by building trust relationships with product management, design, data science, security, legal, policy, communications, as well as many product and engineering teams across Uber
- Be an internal and external evangelist for Uber's privacy technology.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of experience managing software engineering teams, with strong hands-on software design and development skills
- Experience building highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant products and platforms in a big data environment
- Experience managing agile development and adopting engineering best practices with well-defined goals and metrics
- Ability to hire, motivate, develop, and retain top talents, and build a dynamic and high-performing team.
- A strategic mindset, comfortable thinking far ahead of where the team is at now
- Creative problem solver, having an excellent understanding of business goals and able to identify and solve high impact, highly complex problems
- Excellent execution, organization and collaboration skills
- Biased toward action, able to do more with less and turn would-be blockers into opportunities for growth
- Passion to share our message on privacy and data protection to our users, the industry, and other specialists.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.