Sr Software Engineer II (Sr Architect), Backend - Rider
About the Role
Uber Rider engineering is looking for a strong Architect (Level 5B Engineer) who has solved business problems at scale. In this role, you will lead engineering for our High Capacity Vehicles (HCV) group.
5B Engineer at Uber exhibits following qualities:
- Build vision > Take ownership of a vaguely defined major business problem or product vision, translate it into executable technical design and roadmaps to solve the problem or realize the product vision.
- Demonstrate tech expertise > Demonstrate technical skills to go very deep or broad in solving classes of problems or creating broadly leverageable solutions.
- Execute large scale projects > Subdivide the work into monthly/quarterly sprints and compartmentalize across functions or teams and ensure everyone knows how they fit in.
- Collaborate across teams > Work across a group (multiple global teams) to deliver results and are recognized for your hiqh quality communication and coordination abilities.
- Coach engineers > Provide oversight and direction to various engineers working across different efforts.
- Raise the bar > Improve the team's definition of best practices and architecture with deep domain knowledge.
What you'll do
- Build the scalable and reliable consumer technology for HCV (High Capacity Vehicles) that will pave the way for Next Billion Riders for Uber in diverse global markets.
- Partner closely with business teams to help build the tech vision and strategy for global expansion for the product.
- Build automation and tools, technology & platform for HCV ecosystem that consists of Riders, Driver partners, Fleet Partners, City Operation and Route planning
- Work widerly with stakeholders in global Uber teams to reuse and deploy tech for building the product at high velocity.
- Establish the data driven culture within the team to identify consumer frictions and build tech to unblock these
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to the team
- Own the success of your team's projects and deliver quantifiable results in a timely manner.
- Propose, research, prototype, and test new ideas using A/B testing with consumers.
- Mentor fellow teammates on algorithms, data structures, design patterns, and best practices.
- Identify and document feature gaps, and design and implement solutions to them.
- Design and implement high-throughput, low-latency, consistent APIs, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability when both are not possible.
What You'll Need
- 12+ years experience in building large scale products, distributed systems in a high caliber environment.
- Architecture: Identify and solve major architectural problems by going deep in your field or broad across different teams. Extend, improve, or, when needed, build solutions to address architectural gaps or technical debt.
- Software Engineering/Programming: Create frameworks and abstractions that are reliable and reusable. advanced knowledge of at least one programming language, and are happy to learn more. Our core languages are Java & Golang
- Execution & Results: You are able to create meaningful solutions used by multiple teams. You engage with stakeholders across the group, understanding their needs and working through the complexity and conflicting goals. You break down complex problems and deliver impactful business or technical results.
- A team player: You believe that you can achieve more on a team that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Business acumen: You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
- Ability to influence and understand Mobile development ( Full Stack readiness )
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.