Sr Software Engineer, Search
We are looking for experienced and talented engineers who can help define large-scale search systems in Uber's Infrastructure team.
About the Role
Here at Uber our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water, everywhere, for everyone. Uber serves billions of trips per year and we are currently making investments into the systems and infrastructure necessary to support 100+ million trips per day. A key enabler for the success and growth of Uber's business is a world-class technical infrastructure for information retrieval and discovery.
The Infrastructure team builds solutions to help builders at Uber create innovative products. Within Infrastructure, the Search team delivers information retrieval systems to power various critical features in our apps (for example, the Rider app, and the Eats apps).
What You'll Do
You will invent cutting edge technology that supports the scale and real-time demands of Uber's business, for example an event prediction system (engineering blog post).
As a Sr. Software Engineer, you will:
- Lead cross-functional initiatives working with multiple internal customers.
- Design, develop and support a world-class search platform serving a wide variety of use cases.
- Help build infrastructure for the next wave of growth, including building customized components to solve Uber specific problems and evolve the technology for hyper growth.
- Produce high quality code that is robust, efficient and maintainable; our primary languages are Java and Go.
- Work at the core of Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene open source software with opportunities to contribute to open source.
- Work on challenging problems in areas such as relevance ranking, data ingestion, data storage, query optimization, JVM performance optimization, security, machine learning and more.
- Continually challenge what exists and explore what should be changed to best meet our business needs.
- Possess expert knowledge in large scale distributed system design and engineering best practices.
- Participate in setting a vision and objectives for a search platform in alignment with market opportunities.
- Drive and work on algorithm and architecture design, execute and deliver fault-tolerant systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience coding with Java, C++, Python, or Go
- At least five (5) years of software engineering experience
- BS or MS in Computer/Information Science or Engineering
- Experience with programming languages such as Go, Python, C++, Java
- Experience with Search, Information retrieval, and Ranking
- Experience implementing API and microservices
- Experience shipping high-quality features on schedule
- Experience building large scale distributed systems
- Experience implementing projects with multiple dependencies
- Experience with Machine Learning
- Experience with building scalable production services with strict SLAs
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability.
- Experience with large-scale distributed search and storage systems (e.g. Elasticsearch, Apache Lucene, Apache Solr, Kafka)
- Ability to decompose complex business problems
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.