(Senior) Data Scientist - Applied Machine Learning or Operations Research
About the Role
Here's what's in it for you! As a Data Scientist in the CAS organization, you have a unique opportunity to use your quantitative skills in statistics, machine learning and economics. You'll answer high impact open questions, prototype cutting edge algorithms, engage in large scale experimentation, and drive business insights through data. You will be collaborating closely with Products, Ops, Engineering, and other Data Scientists and Product Analysts to own and drive a large part of the Uber products and services that have become so ingrained in the daily lives of our customers and partners.
What You'll Do
- Leverage data to understand product performance and to identify improvement opportunities
- Work with engineers and product managers to turn data science prototypes into robust, reliable solutions
- Build statistical, optimization, and machine learning models the product efficiency and scalability
- Deliver real world recommender systems and search ranking models that will critically impact the growth, efficiency, and reliability of Uber's marketplace.
- Use machine learning, data mining, statistical techniques and others to create actionable, meaningful, and scalable solutions that powers all consumer facing products and features on the Uber Eats and/or Rides apps.
- Conduct research and implementation of novel machine learning and statistical approaches to address medium-to-long term business and product problems
- Collaborate with cross functional team (engineers, product analysts, product managers, designers) to define the business problem, identify the opportunities, and execute team and product strategies
- Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes to boost team productivity, such as model development, model validation and model implementation
- Ph.D., M.S. or Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative fields. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 1+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 2+ years of industry experience as a Data Scientist or equivalent)
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics.
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing, and model development
- Ability to use a language like Python or R to work efficiently at scale with large data sets.
- Proficiency in languages like SQL, R, and Spark.
- M.S. degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative fields with 3+ years of industry experience
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative field
- Experience in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments), causal inference.
- Experience in algorithm development and prototyping.
- Experience with productionizing algorithms for real-time systems
- Proficiency in Java
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form**.**
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.