Engineering Manager - Carpool
About the Role
Uber is changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago, we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of cities everywhere. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our team in Toronto to help build a new Carpooling product that will transform how people get to and from work in cities around the world. Join our growing team in Uber's new Toronto Development office and be part of the technical foundation of this brand new product offering within the Uber Marketplace. You'll lead the engineering strategy, vision, and delivery of the Carpool product. You'll directly lead a diverse team of backend and mobile engineers working across the entire Uber stack from the mobile App experience all the way down to our internal backend platforms.
What You'll Do:
- lead, manage and grow a team of customer-focused software engineers
- mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers on your team, and continuously improve software engineering practices
- own the craftsmanship, reliability, and scalability of your solutions
- encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, and self-organization
- hire top performing engineering talent and maintaining our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- collaborate with and across teams to design, build, and ship great experiences for our customers
- 3+ years of experience directly managing high-performing engineering teams
- Strong people leadership skills including growing and mentoring your team members
- Experience with full lifecycle of software development from requirements and design through to development, testing, deployment, and support
- Deep technical expertise and strong problem-solving and data analysis skills
- Experience evolving and communicating a strong vision/roadmap for your team.
- ownership, taking a personal stake in the success of the product and the team
- invested in your work, a strong sense of engineering craftsmanship
- focused on the customer and the details that make their experience amazing
- practical, making the best use of time and resources to find the simplest solution that works
- current in relevant technologies and know how to implement them effectively
- naturally curious and have a burning desire to learn
- motivated, always looking for ways to contribute, and know how to ship code
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.