(Senior) Data Scientist- Product & Experimentation
About the Role
The Core Analytics & Science Team (CAS) is Uber's largest data science organization, covering both of Uber's main lines of business as well as the underlying platform technologies that power those businesses. We are a key part of Uber's cross-functional product development teams, helping to drive every stage of product development through data analytic, statistical, and algorithmic expertise.
Here are the teams that make it happen:
- Eats: Uber Eats is Uber's ambitious and rapidly expanding on-demand food delivery business currently operating in more than 45 countries globally and is the largest outside of China.
- Merchants - Optimizing merchant onboarding, menu creation, marketing, and order experience
- Couriers - Creating a stress-free courier experience at every point in their lifecycle
- Eaters - Building intelligent data-driven products to provide the best experience across new user acquisition, existing user engagement, and churned user resurrection
- Rides: Rides Data Science at Uber uses data to improve and automate all aspects of Uber's core ridesharing products.
- Shared Rides - Optimizing the balance between UberPool rider experience and cost
- Rider Engagement - Optimizing long term engagement products including rewards & subscription passes
- Platforms: Platform Data Science develops the common systems and technical foundations that power Uber's trip experiences externally and core decision making systems internally.
- Customer Obsession - Building rich chat experiences in a variety of products for riders, drivers and eaters to help users solve their support needs with as little friction as possible
- Data & Growth - Providing feature design recommendations based on customer stories and product usage
What You'll Do
- Develop creative solutions and build prototypes to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning, statistics, and optimization, and work with engineering/product to productionize those algorithms and create impact in production.
- Drive clarity and solve ambiguous, challenging business problems using data-driven approaches.
- Propose and guide the framework of data analysis to drive business insight and facilitate decisions. Establish standard methodologies for data science including modeling, coding, analytics, and experimentation.
- Leverage data to understand product performance and to identify improvement opportunities.
- Design product experiments and interpret the results to draw detailed and impactful conclusions.
- Communicate with senior management and multi-functional teams.
- Provide recommendations to assist quick product ideation and feature launch decisions.
- Build intelligent data-driven products to provide the best user experience.
- Ph.D., M.S. or Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative fields. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 1+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 2+ years of industry experience as a Data Scientist or equivalent).
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics.
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis.
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing, and model development.
- Ability to use a language like Python or R to work efficiently at scale with large data sets.
- Proficiency in languages like SQL, R, and Spark.
- Tech lead experience is a plus
- Experience with productionizing algorithms for real-time systems
- Proficiency in Java or Scala?
- Advanced experience in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments), causal inference
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.