Sr Software Engineer - AVMaps Quality Systems
About the Role
The AVMaps Department is responsible for building and maintaining the high-definition maps used by all teams at Uber ATG! The Autonomous Vehicle is the primary consumer of the map and relies on it being highly accurate and defect free in order to operate with the highest level of safety and performance. As a software engineering lead on the Quality Systems team you will collaborate with safety experts, GIS specialists, and autonomy researchers to create best-in-class tools and APIs for quality review, triaging, and defect resolution. These include in-vehicle visualizations, defect tagging systems, and workflow tools for human operators, as well as algorithms for automatic verification of map features. Over the next year we expect our map quality systems to be some of the most important components of the ATG strategy of expanding to key cities in the U.S. and maintaining an accurate representation of their roadways over time.
What You'll Do
You will be responsible for working with the AVMaps department and the larger ATG organization to:
- Develop and maintain tools used by our operations teams for quality review, triaging, and defect resolution
- Develop and maintain frameworks for running and tracking automatic verifications
- Identify ways to leverage new ATG capabilities or to invent new ones that will measurably improve our quality tooling as we transition toward cars without safety drivers
- Ensure that quality systems are instrumented and monitored, with metrics for analyzing quality trends, especially around operator efficiency
- Collaborate with the wider ATG Autonomy, Systems Engineering, Testing, and Triage teams to report on our quality tool initiatives and share best practices
- Mentor engineers on documenting their software designs, implementing these with high-quality, company-conformant code, and deploying solutions with rigor and professionalism
- 4+ years of industry experience
- Strong software engineering skills in C++, Python, or Go
- Experience with system design, architecture and development of safety-critical robotics, aerospace, or automotive tools
- Strong communications and collaboration skills for capturing jointly-developed designs in writing and sharing updates with stakeholders
- Experience leading small technical teams and agile planning methods
- Prior experience with autonomous vehicles
- Experience with cloud systems for storage, tool deployments, and metrics
- Mathematical background in statistics/probability or provable algorithms
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.