Sr. Engineering Manager
About the Team
At Uber our Engineering Leaders focus on empowering their teams to design and build toward their teams' vision. Senior Engineering Managers focus on efficiently influencing multiple managers and teams so that everyone delivers against stated plans.
This team has a significant impact on Uber's Rides business especially in some of Uber's key markets across the world, enabling billions of dollars of incremental annualized gross booking. Our web and mobile products help drive key category leading innovations in its space with a high bar for reliability and user experience.
About the Role
As a Senior Engineering Manager on the team, you will be leading a group of talented engineers and engineering managers while working closely with multi-functional teams like Product Management, Data Science and Operations to deliver business results. You'll have the chance to lead development of scalable web, mobile and backend systems within Uber that will serve a vast cross-section of customers. In this role, you will align the vision of multiple sub-teams with the larger vision of a whole product / architecture area and evolve that vision and your organization as new initiatives get funded.
What You'll Do
- Craft the technical vision, strategy and roadmap in collaboration with Product Management, Operations, Data Science and other functions to drive maximum value to customers.
- Collaborate with tech teams across the company to drive alignment on goals and ensure strong execution against the same.
- Build a culture of customer first, iterative innovation and engineering excellence across your organization.
- Represent the team's vision, mission and progress to leadership at the highest levels of the tech organization.
- Mentor, coach and support an accomplished full stack engineering team including tech leads, managers and ICs to achieve their full potential.
- Attract and hire the best talent in the industry and adapt the organizational structure to scale as the team grows.
- 10+ years in software product development.
- 4+ years as an engineering manager.
- 2+ years of proven experience leading teams of 20+ through Engineering Managers and Technical Leads.
- Experience working with multifunctional partners (PM, Design, Operations etc) to craft short term and long term technical roadmaps.
- Experience joining together with recruiting teams to hire engineers and engineering managers.
- Experience leading full stack engineering teams delivering across backend, frontend and mobile systems, with hands on engineering experience on at least one of these stacks.
- Leadership experience building and scaling industry leading B2B SaaS type products and services.
- Ability to inspire and empower several engineering teams to execute strongly against a unifying strategy and mission.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A history of setting up and improving operational excellence processes and practices using systems health data.
- A demonstrated inclination towards understanding the business and customers your team supports and leveraging that understanding to make smart engineering tradeoffs.
- Proven track record of growing and mentoring accomplished senior ICs and EMs.
- Dedication to building a diverse and inclusive culture within teams.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.