Sr Software Engineer - Kafka
Product teams at Uber create the vision for the future of urban mobility: deeply understanding our customers to solve their transportation needs with innovative technology. Data underpins our products, enabling intelligent decision making and improved user experiences. Leveraging the latest ML, Big Data, data visualization, and NLP technologies, the Product Platform team works at the intersection of engineering and data science to enhance our services and deliver actionable insights.
About the Role
Uber is currently looking for developers with expertise and passion for developing large scale streaming platforms. Kafka team is a part of Data Infrastructure team at Palo Alto and is responsible for providing a messaging service that is highly available, durable, and provides end-to-end latency guarantee. Transporting multi-trillion messages a day across tens of thousands topics (and growing), we are one of the biggest Kafka ecosystems in the world.
At Uber, we need real-time platforms for real-time business, and Kafka is the heart of Uber's real-time data analytics platform. Our mission is to architect, develop, and deploy world-class big data systems to empower every tier of our incredibly fast growing company. In this role you will have the opportunity to work on Kafka open-source codebase and scale Kafka service for operability, efficiency and security.Add a brief description of the role. Your template will provide "About the Team" content, so focus this section on what the individual will accomplish at Uber.
What You'll do
- You will expand on a solid infrastructure, that collects, stores and serves petabytes of information, services & frameworks that makes data more accessible to Uber's developers, services & teams.
- You will be collaborating closely with Kafla open-source community and contributing to its open-source codebase.
- Build multi-region architecture on both on-premise and in the cloud to provide high availability and strong consistency.
- Build tiered storage solutions on top of Kafka.
- You will utilize the latest breakthroughs in stream transportation technologies, to extract enormous value out of Uber's data.
- Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design.
- Participate in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards.
- Mentor other engineers, foster our speed-oriented culture in them, and help to cultivate a fast growing team.
- An innate desire to deliver and a strong sense of accountability for your work.
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Computer Science or related field.
- 3+ years experience building large scale distributed software systems.
- Solid understanding of Java for backend / systems software development.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience contributing to Apache Flink, Apache Samza, Apache Storm, Apache Spark or similar streaming analytics technology.
- Experience managing production systems with a strong availability SLA.
- Working knowledge of SQL and data analytics at scale.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.