Staff Economist - Uber Freight
About the Role
Uber Freight is a marketplace built to connect shippers with trucks, much like the way the Uber app connects drivers and riders, in a $800B industry in the US alone. We are a team of sharp, results-oriented individuals who are redefining the movement of things around the world. On the Uber Freight team, we fiercely believe that our dedication to transportation technologies will bring more collaborative, highly efficient, and increasingly safer transportation logistics to our roads.
Uber Freight is looking to hire its first ever Sr / Staff Economist to drive economic research and industry-wide thought leadership of the freight and logistics market. The freight market is the backbone of the economy and is greatly influenced by trends in local, national, and global factors, across demand, supply, technology, and regulation. Gaining a deep understanding as well as forecasting capabilities into this environment are crucial for the success of Uber Freight, its shippers, and its carriers.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to lead Uber Freight's economic research and industry thought leadership. Your outputs will inform and craft business strategy to stay prepared for different market conditions, as well deliver value and trust to our shippers and carriers.
What You'll Do
- Develop new data sources, external and internal, to improve our visibility into the freight market
- Identify key supply and demand drivers to inform Uber Freight and its partners
- Stay apprised of industry and regulatory trends to anticipate future market trends
- Build and deliver internal macro truckload rate and opportunity forecast.
- Author external blog posts and metrics to enable our shippers and carriers respond effectively to the market
- Collaborate with cross functional teams across strategic finance, data science, marketplace, and marketing
- Demonstrate the most sophisticated analytical tools in the industry to make our data go farthest.
What You'll Need
- Master's Degree or higher in business/economics/stats/mathematics/related field
- Minimum 5 years of economic research, consulting, market analytics, business intelligence, or related experience
- Experience with authoring and visualizing data on research papers, studies, blog posts, or related materials
- Outstanding analytical and data leadership skills required
- Experience using SQL required, R and/or Python knowledge required
- Comfortable with ambiguity; the ability to structure ideas into impactful plans and to be flexible with changes in scope
- Strong communication and social skills
- Experience with the freight industry preferred but not required
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.