Technical Lead Manager - Observability/Reliability Platform
About the Role
The Observability Applications team builds products that every engineer at Uber uses to develop, scale, understand, and monitor their systems. This team focuses on building the right products to drive observability driven development, improve reliability and help debug problems in an environment with over four thousand microservices, hundreds of thousands of CPU cores in multiple DCs and the cloud, and hundreds of thousands of concurrent trips around the world.
The Observability Applications suite includes building the right user experiences across:
- uMonitor - Uber's alert configuration and execution engine that provides real-time alerting for Uber services. uMonitor as a product also serves as a cohesive entry point/observability portal for our engineers to discover observability golden signals and help investigate outages across the observability toolset.
- Our deeply integrated On-Call Experience suite of tools, which gives on-call engineers everything they need to raise, track, and close outage incidents, to track the SNR of alerts, and to drive improvements in their team health by reducing alert load.
- Synoptic/uGrafana is our Uber-aware dashboarding system that displays context-sensitive information from across the Uber ecosystem, enabling quick detection, root cause identification, and mitigation of issues.
The candidate will help shape the vision and roadmap for on call experience. This role will need to be customer obsessed, architects and implements oncall APM solutions, ensuring resiliency and high availability.
- Makes tooling recommendations based on internal needs and industry trends
- You would drive the development, design, and architecture of various products in the On call and Applications space and help build a coherent and integrated Observability toolset.
- Develops integrations between observability tools
- Quickly responds to help tickets submitted by users
- Provides on-call support to reduce Mean-Time-To-Mitigation (MTTM) of services as well as come up with tooling to reduce MTTM for uber.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
- We are looking for a solid Technical Lead Manager who acts as a Senior Software Engineer first and foremost, with the ability to move quickly between backend development but can dabble in front end if required. If you're experienced with various technologies, a fast learner and have a "get things done" mentality, we'd love to hear from you!
- Engineering excellence. You have the technical strength to give great architecture and implementation advice to the teams who will count on your experience.
- This role collaborates with the product engineering team across Uber to build engaging and effective user experiences for the Uber community.
- Improve the experience of our engineers when doing root cause analysis and identify how we can continue to contextualize that experience and improve the engineer's journey.
- Mentorship. In addition to your hands-on involvement, your role is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Write clear documentation so that other engineers can make the most of what we deliver to them.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.