About the Role
We're looking for talented engineers to help develop the next generation localization and mapping systems for Uber's fleet of self-driving vehicles. If you have experience working on solutions for state estimation (fusing measurements from a variety of sensor types within real-time estimators), lidar or image-based registration, Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM), nonlinear optimization, and/or large-scale mapping systems, we want to hear from you.
What You'll Do
- Design, implement, test, and maintain real-time estimation software for localization and mapping that runs on self-driving Uber vehicles
- Design, implement, test, and maintain scalable software that runs offboard for mapping, calibration, analysis, testing, and verification
- Work with large sets of sensor data from raw measurements to processed state estimates and map representations
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams at Uber and communicate your work to colleagues and management
- MS/PhD degree in Computer Science or related engineering field
- Experience developing production-quality software in C++, with modern tool chains and development work practices
- Highly skilled in one or more of the following areas:
- Vehicle state estimation (real-time sensor fusion techniques including Bayesian/Kalman filters such as EKF / UKF); vehicle dynamics modeling
- Lidar pointcloud registration
- Geometric computer vision
- Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM)
- Techniques for nonlinear optimization
- Processing raw sensor measurements, including inertial sensors
- Solid understanding of 3D spatial mathematics concepts
- Extensive, demonstrable results in real-world applications
- Experience with relevant applications of nonlinear optimization techniques such as bundle adjustment or pose graph optimization
- Python development experience
- Minimum 3 years of industry experience
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.