Sr Software Engineer II - Maps Search and Places
Whether engineering more accurate ETAs or helping drivers navigate to the perfect pick-up spot, our mapping technologies are integral to the magic of the Uber platform. On the Maps Engineering team, we use the latest ML, GPS, and telematics solutions to make transportation on our platform safer and more accessible.
About the Role
- Our mission is to make sure that riders and drivers meet seamlessly with least friction on either side by providing a legal, navigable and safe point and a label for every Uber trip/job through accurate localization of the user.
- For a majority of the trips, user's don't provide input on the pickup location. They enter the destination, select a product (Uber X, Pool, etc) and request the ride. On the pickups side they expect Uber to do the needful to ensure that the driver can get to them.
- We own the entire backend stack from the raw geospatial search to the presentation layer of the Helix Rider app and also own the platform services that power pickups and dropoffs for other products like Eats, Frieght and so on.
- Projects span the entire spectrum from large scale distributed systems infrastructure that power to ML for identifying high quality pickup and dropoff spots as well as having a direct influence on the product experience for millions of users every day.
- Tech stack: ML modeling (Python/Spark), Data pipelines (Spark - Java / Scala), Backend services (Java).
What You'll Do
We are a very small team of engineers responsible for determining a convenient origin and destination of all trips worldwide. We own the geospatial platform and backend services that power the pickup and dropoff experiences for all Uber jobs - be it Rides, Eats, or Freight!
As a backend engineer on this team you would help us build out this platform and scale it to the tens of thousands of queries we receive every second. You'd also contribute to the launch of new product features that directly impact the trip rendezvous experience between rider and driver. These features directly impact key business KPIs such as cancellations and time spent in rendezvous which impact the overall marketplace efficiency of Uber.
You will be working with some of the world's most experienced mapping professionals, data scientists, software engineers, and research scientists on a very user-facing product. This is your chance to develop cutting-edge technology that will make a huge impact on the efficiency of every Uber trip!
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience coding with C++, Java, Python, or Go
- At least ten (10) years of software engineering experience
- BS or MS in Computer/Information Science or Engineering
- Experience with programming languages such as Go, Python, C++, Java
- Experience implementing API and microservices
- Experience shipping high-quality features on schedule
- Experience building large scale distributed systems
- Experience implementing projects with multiple dependencies
- Experience with Machine Learning
- Experience with Search, Information retrieval, and Ranking
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada