Senior Software Engineer (SRE / AWS)
About the Role
Within the Wallet Platform, Tokenizer is Uber's primary store of highly sensitive financial and other user information. We tokenize, store and proxy all of customer credit/debit cards and all bank accounts for smoother collection and weekly disbursement. We maintain best-in-class reliability and data security for our Uber customers and integrating engineering teams. We're positioned outside of Uber infrastructure and maintain secure connections with Uber and various third party legal and financial institutions.
Our team consists of security-minded application and system engineers who, under PCI-DSS regulation, have to split who can write Tokenizer application code and who can interact with the Tokenizer production environment. We need you to pick up the latter role, right beside us.
What you'll do
- Partake in the penetration tests, security investigations and fixes crucial to our yearly PCI-DSS certification. Continue the roll-out of our hostname-based proxy.
- Own and improve our AWS storage, credential management, hosting and network stack.
- Deliver CI/CD, test infra and other improvements to our platform and strategic or cost saving payment projects in daily collaboration with fellow Tokenizer engineers.
- Own and improve our Tokenizer clients in Java/Go/Python/JS, embedded in Uber's microservices. Help engineers integrate.
- Expand our reliability pipeline to capture business-level KPIs.
- Participate in our tier 1 on-call rotation to assess, mitigate or escalate to and collaborate with NetEng and Security teams at Uber.
What you'll need
- Grit, self-starting, with a deep feeling of ownership.
- Familiarity with AWS DynamoDB, ELB, EC2, IAM, KMS and S3; Terraform, Jenkins, Spinnaker, Ansible, Packer; Internet and NAT Gateways, Route53, ThousandEyes and Squid and/or the intrinsic motivation to expand your knowledge and skill set.
- A good understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, application security, monitoring and storage systems.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
What you'll get
- Opportunities to lead
- Opportunities to partner with Uber's EngSec, NetEng, Infra and ProdEng teams
- Experiencing a comprehensive AWS stack, at scale
- Exposure to industry-wide best practices and technologies in security and compliance
- Easy access to this unique opportunity in Uber, right here from Amsterdam
We're committed to the continued development of Tokenizer platform and its innovations for Uber's Money, Compliance and Legal operations. We need your skills and passion to make it happen!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.