Sr Product Manager, Metrics & Evaluation, Self-Driving
Here at Uber's Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are on a mission to bring safe, reliable self-driving transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto, and Boulder are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. We are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Our Product & Design team builds on a platform of deep insight for our users both internally and externally, turning complex technology into elegant product solutions.
About the Role
The Autonomy Dev & Test product team is focused on increasing the quality, speed, and safety of autonomy development through improved workflows and tooling. Autonomy engineers rely on running a large number of simulations in order to test and iterate their code. Test Manager is the product every developer uses to run these simulations and to evaluate the results. These test results span a variety of system and subsystem metrics, and can be either pass/fail or continuous metrics. Test Manager allows developers to quickly glean insight from complex information, and introspect system performance trade-offs across a number of different metrics. Test Manager is also the database for storing test results for use by various stakeholders across the company.
What You'll Do
- Evaluate driving behavior and subsystem performance through metrics development.
- Understand the user workflows and technical challenges faced by autonomy engineers (perception, prediction and motion planning) and act as a customer advocate; where possible, be hands-on as a user of developer tools.
- Develop expertise in the technical details of self-driving vehicle architecture in order to effectively drive product vision through roadmaps, PRDs and user stories.
- Balance development across platform capabilities with minimal UI (eg command-line interfaces) with the highly visual display of dense information.
- Manage diverse sets of partners with complex and conflicting needs; effectively communicate the vision, strategy, and roadmap.
- Define product-level metrics and OKRs and use them to drive execution.
- Work closely with engineering partners to execute against priorities.
- 3+ years of product management experience or 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience with 3D data visualization technologies.
- Previous experience in self-driving vehicle software development, robotics or machine learning research and development.
- Experience learning new, highly technical domains and building products from concept stage.
- Experience building complex, distributed systems to enable enterprise workflows.
- Technical depth in self-driving or similar data-intensive industry.
- Truth-seeking and highly analytical approach.
- Functional with ambiguity and ability to try new things and adapt.
- Ability to define and then track the metrics that measure progress and success.
- Experience leading multi-functional teams of engineers, designers and embedded customer representatives.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to persuade and lead.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.