Backend Software Engineer, Elevate Airspace Systems
About the Role
The Elevate team is weaving the everyday flight into the Uber platform. We are developing Uber Air to enable aerial ridesharing at scale via eVTOLs - all-electric, vertical takeoff and landing vehicles, with a planned launch in 2023. The backend engineer will use the Uber platform to build scalable systems for running airspace operations.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Designers, Mobile & Frontend engineers to define and build end-user experience.
- Understand the capabilities and limitations of existing architectures and evolve them to satisfy future product requirements.
- Innovate reliable monitoring, deployment, and fault detection infrastructure to support airspace operations.
- Build high performance distributed systems that can scale to 100,000s QPS.
- Mentor engineers in the craftsmanship of architecture, design, code, and operations.
- At least 1+ years of backend development experience.
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent technical experience.
- Experience in Java, Go, or equivalent backend languages.
- Interest in building high-quality software for aviation operations.
- Customer obsession and the ability to collaborate with product managers and designers to balance quality, speed, and scalability.
- Architecture understanding both on a theoretical level (e.g. RDBMS vs. NoSQL) and on an applied level (e.g. Redis vs. Cassandra).
- Bias toward action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgment about shipping as fast as possible while ensuring your products and platforms are built in a sustainable, responsible way--and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Experience with large scale data processing, geospatial datasets and services such as maps, GPS traces, etc.
- Full-stack experience with frontend or mobile (Android/iOS) development.
- Experience in Aviation!
About the team
The candidate will be assigned to the software engineering org within Elevate and report to the Engineering Manager, Airspace Systems. The candidate will closely collaborate with other engineers, data scientists, product managers, and designers to deliver on their day-to-day goals. The candidate will need to thrive in a fast-paced and multidisciplinary environment.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.