Senior Software Engineer (Data Sharing Team)
About the Team
The Data Sharing Platform team aims to build the next generation of intelligent data services that will have a profound impact on how we march towards the vision of Uber's data-driven real-time marketplace.
Our teams build platforms that enable data movement within Uber across various sources and sinks, allow data sharing outside of Uber with various city partners and regulators along with ingesting data from various external sources to support business analytical needs. We have open sourced one of these platforms - Marmaray.
About the Role/What You'll Do
We are hiring an Architect/Sr Software Engineer for the Data Sharing Platforms team at Uber. As the most senior member of the team, you would get to work on and define the vision for three different platforms.
Iris Platform: Uber operates in over 700+ cities across the globe with each city defining its own regulatory requirements. Our challenge is to build a platform that enables external data sharing that is extensible, secure, compliant, and easy-to-use.
Kirby Platform: We ingest data from 70+ external sources that power use-cases across financial reporting, communications platforms, safety, and customer acquisition. Our challenge is to build a platform that is scalable, resilient, and customer-centric.
Marmaray Platform: We disperse data to various online systems used to power recommendation engines, Machine Learning platforms, and personalization engines. Our challenge is to build a platform that is generic, scalable, and self-serve. More importantly, how do we combine these into a unified framework?
As part of the team, you'll see the tangible impact of the work you deliver, you'll get the opportunity to work with high performing colleagues, you'll drive the team's vision and its implementation.
You will have a chance to:
- Drive efficiency and reliability improvements through design and automation: performance, scaling, observability, and monitoring
- Work with multiple partner teams within and outside of Uber and build cross-functional solutions in a collaborative work environment
- Mentor and support your fellow teammates, review the team's technical design, code, and documentation
- Advanced knowledge of at least one programming language
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of experience in building large-scale platforms and distributed systems
- Experience identifying and solving major architectural problems. Extend, improve, or, when needed, build solutions to address architectural gaps or technical debt
- Deep and hands-on experience building Spark applications or similar Big Data pipelines/frameworks/services (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, Presto, Parquet, Avro etc.)
- Experience creating frameworks and abstractions that are reliable and reusable
- Understanding of REST API services and applications
- Sound knowledge of internal storage systems like Cassandra and MySQL
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada